ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old February 15th, 2020, 05:44 PM
Private 1st Class

plumas.placer.miner is a Soldier

Thanks Dan, I appreciate hearing it!
Old February 16th, 2020, 08:51 AM
Corporal

Nailhead is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
Engine rebuild update: Everything is still at the Machine shop.

The cylinders were bored .060 over and honed. The crankshaft main bearing journals were ground to .030 under and the connecting rod journals were within spec and were polished. I bought a high energy camshaft (252H) which will idle nicely and give a bit more low-end torque. I owe the shop $658 at the moment and I will settle up with them before moving forward.

When I get those parts home, I will take photos.

Next will be to check the head, valve guides, valve seats, surfacing etc. New valves and springs, new push rods, maybe new rockers.

With that Motorcraft 2150 carb, it should be a strong engine.

News at 11:00.
Brian, I can't wait to hear your impressions of how that runs.

I would LOVE to do a seat-of-the-pants comparison between your this and a stock 230.
Old February 16th, 2020, 09:38 AM
Private 1st Class

Hey Nail,
I really don't know what the heck I am doing. This M715 project is the first time I have ever done this. The M715 truck and my mining claims are my retirement projects. I really appreciate this community! Even though it is clear that many of us have different opinions on some things, many of us are Veterans and the M715 gives us a "staging area for commonality", if you will.

I think the world wide web is really great for reasons such a: learning new things, and finding rare auto parts world-wide. Of course the www is really bad for other thing such as: it seems to bring out the worst in [some] people (social media isn't), and it is the wild wild West for con men and criminals. The useful information has high value, but discerning between the useful and invalid info is challenging for some folks.

My M715 came with an old AMC 232 in it, so installing the 258 seemed like the obvious and best choice. I read that the 230 was considered [by some] to be underpowered and the lubrication of the time was insufficient for the OHC in the 230. I like the waterproof features on the mil 230, but I am not going into 60" of water with my truck. It doesn't flood at 5,000 feet of elevation, and if it does, it's a fast flowing river that I wouldn't drive in anyway.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; February 16th, 2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old February 17th, 2020, 01:54 PM
Private 1st Class

Priming the compressor tank next weekend.

Can't wait to get up to the claims in June...Spring runoff always brings new gold to the glory holes. I'm the one in the dry suit. The other guy is mining partner.

Oh yeah...the military vehicle club I belong to in Reno is going to show our vehicles, and the Harrah's Military Museum vehicles, at the Atlantis on March 6th. They have some nice ones. I don't know what vehicles will be there, but here are a few examples:

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; February 17th, 2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2020, 02:45 PM
Private 1st Class

Primer yesterday and two coats of paint on the underside today. I like water-based enamel better. Cleanup is a snap.

Next time I buy a paint gun, I'll get one with an air adjustment knob. On the Porter-Cable gun, I can't adjust the spray width.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; February 23rd, 2020 at 05:32 PM.