Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 230 Distributor Problem(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    Good grief!
    Special order? They probably get them from Memphis Equipment, then add all to that California tax to it.
    Needless to say, my plans for ordering one from them are out the window. I'm going to hold off ordering one at all until I can verify that it isn't just the pulley that's loose on the water pump shaft. It acts like this is what's going on: the pulley wobbles, but the water pump itself doesn't leak.

Dan, any luck with those pix of those tools you made? I'm planning to work on this over the weekend while the weather is decent.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    The piece of wood holds the tensioner to the side until the cover is on, then using a pair of needle nose plyers, carefully pull the wood out through the little window.

Got it— thank you very much.

Here’s where I’m at:

Got the water pump off, and it’s loose at the inner bearing -

No sign of coolant at the weep hole.

Ready to order a water pump, ready to dig in -

Be careful when trying to remove the pulley from the waterpump shaft. The threads in the pulley tend to strip out and most people then have problems getting it off. Using a press tends to break the lip on the pulley. Use a lot of heat and take your time.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Be careful when trying to remove the pulley from the waterpump shaft. The threads in the pulley tend to strip out and most people then have problems getting it off. Using a press tends to break the lip on the pulley. Use a lot of heat and take your time.
    Thank you for the information, Beast.

Memphis Equipment lists a water pump, pulley & all, so I'm not touching the one on mine. I don't think I have the equipment needed, and Memphis warns a usable core will include a good pulley, so I'm leaving well enough alone. $285 (including shipping) is pricey enough.

Not to long ago a member posted that this place rebuilt his and did a great job, I think it was $185.
    http://water-pump-rebuilders.com/jeep-water-pumps.html

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    Not to long ago a member posted that this place rebuilt his and did a great job, I think it was $185.
    http://water-pump-rebuilders.com/jeep-water-pumps.html

Shipping mine out tomorrow to Flying Dutchman— $139 + shipping.

I can’t thank you enough for that tip.

I removed the crankshaft pulley bolt so I can take it to Fastenal tomorrow & buy a couple longer ones to run that pulley back on when the time comes. I could not get that bolt to budge with a 1/2” breaker, socket, and the truck in gear— too much slack in the system, so I got out the roughneck impact wrench:

and it loosened right up.

Now I have to remove the oil pump, get a puller, and unbolt that cover.

Should be interesting.

Those photos are huge! Won't do that again...

If you resize to approx 1200 max pixels in width, they fit pretty well.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    If you resize to approx 1200 max pixels in width, they fit pretty well.
    Thank you Jon.

I should have just selected medium size on Tapatalk like I usually do. Got greedy, I guess. That's as close to actually resizing an image I can get without extensive research and hand-wringing.