Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Axles that can be swapped in place of the stock axles

with rockwells that have stock gears, 46 inch tires a T400 tranny with NP205 TC and a 454 I can maintain right around 62 or 63 mph. There is a company called ouverson engineering that makes a gear kit for the axles. I think its in the mid 4 range but they are also $1200 each. I paid less then that for both my axles.

Tyson, Take a look at Overson. they have just about anything you could want for a 2.5 rockwell. o and the ratio you refered to is 6.72 stock ratio and they now have a 4.90. Not cheap but it is out there to be had if you really want it.

http://www.ouversonusa.com/gearsets.html

awesome ill check it out. I love this forum, everyone is super helpful and happy. Ive been on other forums where all people do is argue and pull out tape measures to see whose ______ is bigger.

Anyway, Thanks guys!!!

I just bought a 68 M715 and swapping the rear axle is the first thing that I want to do. My skill level makes a newb look smart but I am a pretty quick learner. I want to do this right and I have a couple questions reguarding the Dana 70 off a GM dually van.

1) Is there a specific model year van that has this axel? Or better yet is there a part # for that axel? I live in Houston, Texas and I went down to the salvage yards today with this information in hand. I found GM dually vans out the ass ranging from 1997-2009, but I dont know which one to pick. They all look the same but yet they all look a little different. When I told the guys what I was looking for they acted like I ws stupid because I didnt have a specific year.

2) Once I know what year model vans I need to be looking for how do I know if its a good axle? They all look like and are covered in rust. I dont want to buy an axle, put it on and then have to repair it anyways. Are there certain things to look for in a good quality axle?

3) Not knowing if it was even the right axle, I bartered with a few of the places just to get an idea of their pricing. I got pricing from $300-500. Is that a good price to pay for an axle?

Welcome to the Zone. Please try to keep the language suitable for any younger kids who might be reading over our shoulders.

Why do you want to swap just the rear axle? A 4x4 needs the front and rear axle to be the same ratio. Otherwise, it will kill gears and the transfer case real fast. You would be better off finding a donor truck with the front and rear axles you want. That way you get drive shafts and such too.

To answer your exact question. A full floating corporate 14 bolt rear axle is the one everybody pretty much agrees on as being the best rear axle smaller than a Rockwell for a big truck. I would recommend doing internet searches for this type of axle. Look for pictures so you can ID them. There are also a lot of threads here on the Zone about them with pictures.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Not exactly on topic but what axles would be able to handle 42-46" military rubber with a 6bt?

Im looking for a 12v cummins in a dodge truck and transplanting the drivetrain. The diesels come with a d80 out back and a d60 up front. Not sure how well they would transplant. the wms to wms of the rear is 70"....so I think they could work. I may have an issue with pass. v. driver drop though, because idk if the stock transfer case could handle that scenario.

Any one ton axle will handle that size rubber. If you are really going to be hard on them most axle shafts can be upgraded to make them even stronger. Put some good lockouts on the D60.

As long as the axles are SRW then you wont have major issues. There are way to many variables to tell you exactly what problems you may encounter. Spend some time looking at both trucks and taking some measurments and you will know within reason what needs to be done.

Get a D60 with pass drop if you want to use the stock Tcase or get a ford divorced Tcase.

How strong are the stock T cases? I am hoping the Cummins will have plenty of power stock, but thats still over 400lbs of torque. My other idea is to get a dodge np205 that will bolt straight to the dodge tranny and be pass drop.

Why dont more people use the stock axles? They are D60 and D70 no? Why buy a new D60?

Thumbs up

The Dana 70 from a CJ10A is stoll one of the best choices with its width and 4.88 gearing. There is one in PA for $200.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Thoner7 View Post

Why dont more people use the stock axles? They are D60 and D70 no? Why buy a new D60?
    The D60 in the front of an M715 is roughly of the same strength axle-wise as a D44. It has smaller shafts than a common D60 used in the open knuckle version. It also has the oddball wheel bolt pattern, which can be a hassle unless you don't mind running stock rims with tubes, or making/modifying/or having custom made rims for them. Then there are the drum brakes. The stock axles do work OK for what they are intended for and were pretty much bulletproof in a stock truck with low horsepower like the original Tornado. Larger tires and more horsepower will show some of their shortcomings a little faster. The D70 in the rear has a weird offset for the ring gear and that makes gears and lockers a little more difficult to find and a lot more expensive.

The stock transfer cases are NP200's and are as strong as an NP205 and are identical in many respects. The NP200 does make noise with the stock right rear output and will have heat problems with stock gearing. The noise can be overcome by relocating the output to the center and the heat issue will fairly well go away with more streetable gears.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™