Thread: tilt wheel from civ. jeep (non fsj)

Default tilt wheel from civ. jeep (non fsj)

i searched and came across a few discussions on using a tilt-colum from a civilian FSJ... but about using a tilt wheel from a CJ7? has it been considered? done? found to be not viable?

only reason i ask is since i'm not going for a full restoration, and shooting more for practicality, i am wondering if it would be an option. there are plenty of CJ parts to be had...

Really depends on how good you are at fabrication. I happen to have a Ford Tilt column in mine and there are some who have gone with a completely new one from Idit or the like.

I say if you have it already and aren't afraid of your tools then let it rip!

Quote Originally Posted by BBM715 View Post
    Really depends on how good you are at fabrication. I happen to have a Ford Tilt column in mine and there are some who have gone with a completely new one from Idit or the like.

I say if you have it already and aren't afraid of your tools then let it rip!
    i am scared of my tools... it's the way they look at me. i think they are plotting something.

Buy a plasma cutter and tell them to behave or else!

Someone did a YJ wheel swap a while back. I believe that it was on one of the old boards.

Don

i possibly will have a tilt wheel available I just finished and registered my 715. It works good and is out of a older jeep pick-up. BUT the wheel is closer to you because it is about 4" deep from center while the stock is straight , no depth I will take pics and post, Dave

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

What year CJ is the column out of?

I have a few XJ columns kicking around and when laid alongside a GM column, they look almost identical and even use GM parts in them for the signal switch, ignition switch.

In short, if it is the GM style, they are widely used in street rods, off-road, custom buggies, etc, and will usually fit with some minor mods.......

get a fsj and it will bolt right in......

FSJ columns bolt right in to the M715? What years? The 63-73 with the same steering wheel and non tilt that the stock truck has? I know the 74 and up columns dont just bolt in.
    Last edited by brute4c; September 23rd, 2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelllllling :)

Quote Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
    get a fsj and it will bolt right in......

at least 74+ DO NOT BOLT IN, without a few mods to the supports and the dash itself.
    **I heart Bump_r **