Thread: Power brakes pulling.

Default Power brakes pulling.

Hello, I was hoping for some advice. I put in a power brake system, new wheel cylinders, booster and master.
    I've been adjusting the star wheel for days on end it seems, re-bled the system. Driver side front and rear will lock up in gravel, the passenger side does not which of course pulls me sharp to the driver side. And into oncoming traffic.
    I connected the new master per the power brake sticky somewhere on this site.
    Any advice? I need to get this thing braking straight so I can get to the exhaust shop and start driving it after ten years of waiting.
    Thanks in advance.

Try bleeding the right side again. Sounds like you could have air in the system. Also, did you change all of the wheel cylinders when you rehabbed the brakes?

I replaced three wheel cylinders, passenger rear cylinder is the only one I couldn't get out yet. Luckily it was also the only original that is both working and not leaking so I decided to take the chance on leaving it for now.
    Will try to get that last stubborn cylinder out and re-bleed the system again before I do anything else.
    I get good squirt from the bleeder when I crack it under pressure, I can't imagine the rubber line is collapsing or something weird happening under pressure and stopping the fluid from getting to the passenger front corner, am I missing something there perhaps?
    Thanks,
    Help with this stuff can be tricky for me to find around here, all the guys my age seem to like the little imports.

When you put your foot on the brake pedal and someone opens the passenger side bleeder, does your foot go down the same way as the driver's side?

Both sides are connected and should see the same pressure, so you likely have a blockage somewhere.
    Last edited by Mikel; July 22nd, 2018 at 11:35 AM.

Besides the above suggestions. What about the brake hoses?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I left the original lines and only replaced what had to be done at the time. Guess it's time to just go ahead and replace all the lines.
    I'll try being the pedal man and see what that feels like.
    I did leave the brake light switch in, maybe I should circumvent that and just put in a t when I run new lines?
    I put in an electrical brake switch off the brake pedal so the old pressure switch is just a junction block at this point.
    Thanks for the advice! Have a direction to go now.

You could pull the drum from the offending corner and have someone lightly step on the brake pedal while you look to see if the brake shoes are moving. Hopefully that's not the case and you can work your way backwards until you find the problem.

If you have air in one side, all it's going to do is give you more pedal travel before you get the brakes to start working, and will make no difference on which side (L/R) the air is, because they share the same circuit and pressure is equalized.
    Last edited by Mikel; July 22nd, 2018 at 08:22 PM.

I agree with Barrman to replace the rubber brake hoses. After 50 years the inside of the hoses are probably not in the best of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    I agree with Barrman to replace the rubber brake hoses. After 50 years the inside of the hoses are probably not in the best of shape.
    Brake hoses can delaminate inside of the hose. That can cause brakes to no apply properly due to blockage or more likely what happens is that when you apply brakes, the fluid cannot return to the master cylinder due to blockage. I have used the NOS ones (dated in the 70s) on all three locations with good service.

Just my experience; your mileage may vary as they say.

I've ordered a full brake line kit that will go from the new lines from the master to the front corners and rear. Hopefully Napa will have some rubber lines for me, little trouble hunting them down without having to go to AN style fittings which I'd like to avoid. I could have sworn I saw Napa part numbers on the site for the rubber lines but I can't seem to find it now.
    I'm planning on driving the truck to Maine from Virginia so I guess it would be prudent to replace more than less now that I can afford it.
    I'll get get everything in over the weekend while the dog watches me and report back.