Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M715 or M726

Nice site, hope ya can help me.
    I have a truck that I thought was an M715 till I got here. My truck says M715 on the title, the registration, the dash, everywhere, but it has the body with the doors and stuff on the back, it is not a pickup bed.
    Is it supposed to be called an M726 but was mismarked? Is there an M715 with this body? How rare would it be either way? I dont see production numbers here anywhere and I have never found another good source, heck no one else seems to know what the heck I'm talking about. I hope you guys do.

Default M715 or M726

If it's the utility bed with an open air cargo area between the storage boxes, it's a 726. If it has an enclosed small work area, it's a 724.

If the dash plate says 715 and the serial number matches what's on the frame, it's a 715 with a swapped bed.

Chris

the M724 was the cab and chassis model so it could have had almost any style of body mounted to it. The M726 is the maintenance truck and has a body like LuckyPabst described. M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

Is there a slip collar disconnect for the rear drive shaft ?? This would be mounted on the back of the transfercase . M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

Well I guess its the M726 type then cause it is open between the sides. There is a plate on the dash that says the box is by Stahl.
    I did match the VIN to your list. It is 30551 and 10-68. But the Stahl plate looks like it was put on the dash with the other plates, not like it was added. Your saying someone would have taken a M715 and changed the bed and aded the plate I guess. I thought it was made this way.
    What is a slip collar disconnect? It has a ring on the driveshaft near the transfercase that looks like it might unscrew or something, I'll guess that thing. Is it for taking the shaft apart easy or something? I would just pull u-joints normally.
    Thank you for your help, glad somebody still knows about these old trucks.

wideload welcome. your only 216 miles from me.

With the way this thing drives, that makes us about 4 days apart. Reminds me of the covered wagon days!

I just shorten the trip up today, got a 700r4 to go behind my 350. its going to be nice to have an overdrive. maybe I can hit 65.

Wideload, yours may be an oddball. Mine is officially a 726 but there's no "Stahl" tag on the dash. Maybe yours was converted after military service?

Plus I think all the other 726's had early vins like mine is a 10230 but still a 69. Curious, do your cargo doors have locks on them?

I think the disconnect Barry is talking about is for the bed mounted generator/welder found in 724's (fitted with the workshop box).

Chris

I thought it was stock this way, but I dont know. I bought it back in 86 after 6 months of dealing with an old guy at a car lot who said it was a 58 or 59 truck no matter what the title said. They had taken it in on trade. I talked to an retired officer who knew it was in the M715 family and said it was built in the late 60's or maybe even 1970. I told him the date on the dash, he said that made sense to him. He also said he saw one like it before so I figured by that it was stock. Are there any records anywhere to tell more about it or something?
    The cargo doors have locks on mine, is that good?
    I dont have a welder or generator and there are no holes in there that are'nt being used. I'm guessing there would be mount holes in there.
    If it was converted later, is there any way to tell when? How much work is it to change over to the truck bed? It would be more useful for me. Would it ruin its value? Not that it is a beauty, but it is all there and works, though the paint is faded, the engine leaks oil, and the top has got to be replaced this year. I found that New Life place on a different posting. That is what I been lookin for.
    Thanks again.