Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock Steering Coupling Bell-Shaped thingy elimination

Default Stock Steering Coupling Bell-Shaped thingy elimination

Last night, I fixed my steering once and for all.

The bell-shaped thingy that couples the steering column to the steering shaft was worn out. I did buy a new one but didn't feel like it was safe and kind of rinky dink really.

So what I did is I pulled the steering wheel and pulled out the steering column shaft. I cut the bottom 'T' thing that held the coupler off completely. This left me with a 3/4 round shaft. I called Borgeson and asked what they recommended. They said that I could either run a 3/4 smooth u-joint (which you have to weld on) or I could grind down the sides so it becomes a 3/4 DD.

I was really nervous about doing this and actually didn't touch the steering for a month because I was afraid of wrecking it. So last night, I bit the bullet and ground down the shaft. I took my time and it was really easy. The new 3/4DD ujoint fits perfectly and I upgraded the rest to a telescoping shaft and the rag joint to a vibration dampener with u-joint.

It works really well.

I will have some pictures sometime this weekend but I thought I would post this for those of you that want better, tighter steering. All of the pieces were about $200-225 or so. This was a nice easy upgrade that I feel made my M715 much safer.

If you have any questions or need part numbers (or pricing) let me know. I could probably put a kit together that all you would have to do is grind down your steering column shaft and this new piece would bolt in between the column and box.
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400

Wow...this sounds like a great upgrade!!

Cant wait to see pics!!

Jester Guest

I have been thinking about this exact upgrade. Build a kit and they will come.

Jester Guest

Also, please post up pics and part numbers. I have a bunch of info and pics I have collected for this as well. Maybe we can build this into a sticky.

I have put a couple Borgeson shafts in early and 78-79 Broncos, mostly bolt in with a little customizing. They make a really nice product.

-- Tim Taylor

Jester Guest

JP magazine also did a story about power steering in their M truck. They cut the shaft and welded a u-joint on.

I would prefer not to weld it on and to the DD thing like Brent is talking about.
    Last edited by brute4c; March 28th, 2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: just doing a little dusting for appearances sake...

Jester Guest

Here is my guess on parts from Borgeson - please correct me if I am off base.

shaft - 450024 - telescoping shaft, 21-27 inch, 3/4" DD & 1" DD
    box u-joint - 014940 - 3/4" DD & 13/16" x 36 spline
    column u-joint - 014952 - 1" DD & 3/4" DD

The column shaft would have to be ground to 3/4" DD.

These are priced around $225 from Summit. Sure Brent would be cheaper

Would love to see pics.

Default Steering joint kit

I would also like pics and would be interested in a kit. It looks like a great idea and would help the weak link in this system.

Sorry this took so long but I was cruising right along with my M715 and ran into a couple issues which are now fixed but I didn't have a chance to snap some pics and take the shaft off until tonight.
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400