Thread: capone : A few Newbie questions

Default capone : A few Newbie questions

A few Newbie questions
    Post by capone on Sept 29, 2006, 8:50pm

I'm Seriously thinking about buying my first M715 (1967) It has the original drive train. I-6 Tornado motor, Dana 60/70 axles. I seen on the dash it states max speed of 45mph. Was that a recommendation from the Army or is that as fast as you can go safely without modification. I live in Michigan the truck has no Title only a bill of sale. Does anyone know how I would go about title it?
    Thanks for any help, Matt

Default binfordm715 :

Re: A few Newbie questions
    Post by binfordm715 on Sept 30, 2006, 8:50am

Not sure about titling a vehicle, but there are a few Michigan members here who might have insight for you. You could always call your local Dept. of Licensing, or Dept. of Motor Vehicles and ask them what the process is.

As to the speed, mine had "MAX SPEED 30" on the dash! So yours can do 15 more than mine!

Actually, the official max speed is 60, according to the data plates on the dash panel. It won't be happy at 60, though. You will be better off sticking to 55 or a little less, and even then the motor will be screaming, thanks to the VERY low gears in our differentials. I drive 25mph in 4th gear and the motor doesn't even lug. So you can imagine what it's doing at 55....

That said, 45 mph is actually a very comfortable speed for these trucks and is about all I want to drive mine.

Hope that helps....

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Sept 30, 2006, 9:23am

For reference, at 54 mph, I'm turning 3000 rpm in my chebby 350. That's not excessive, but it's above the reasonable fuel mileage curve. You can do 60 or so, but without an overdrive transmission, things will be singing.

Pull the trigger, buy it and welcome!

Default capone :

Post by capone on Sept 30, 2006, 12:49pm

Thanks for the replies I was hoping to beable to do 45mph. So that will work. Now I just have to figure out to Title it.
    Thanks!

Default hummer103 :

Post by hummer103 on Sept 30, 2006, 6:08pm

If you looking to run stock stuff, you could upgrade to some 11.00x16 which is a 38"tire x11"wide fits with no lift, in fact I lowered my rear suspension (removed 2 leaves) and they still clear fine. You probably have 33-34" tires on there so with 38's you wont be screaming so much. I ran the numbers once but dont know off the top of my head the differences in speeds at RPMs.

Default capone :

Post by capone on Oct 1, 2006, 6:58am

What about the rims. Is there any direct fit one piece replacement rims on the market? I would really like to put some 20's with spinners on there. OK I was just kidding about the 20's with spinners. I was just thinking about 1 piece steelies. Thanks hummer103 the 38" sound like a good ideal.
    Thanks, Matt

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Oct 1, 2006, 7:52am

I piece rims means getting rims made or buying a set from someone else who had a set made...

Default capone :

Post by capone on Oct 1, 2006, 8:18am

Ok thanks

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Oct 1, 2006, 9:57am

The problem with the m715 is that the wheel bolt-pattern is uncommon. Bob Cowan has built one-piece 16" wheels using the stock centers. He may still have a set for sale. I believe some guys have had MRT build them wheels as well. That said, with XL and XZL tires, the stock wheels work and look great.