Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 230 Distributor swap

now that i have a digi camera i'll take some pics of my military dist with civy wires.
    k
    67 M725 84 GW

I was at NAPA today and did a little checking on the 230 distrib they list....turns out it fits the 199, 232, and 258 motors and for some reason they also have the 230 listed along with those motors...I informed them that this is wrong but I dont think they really cared too much...The guy also looked up Kaiser Jeep and there were no parts listings for a distrib under that...they actually listed Kaiser Jeep as seperate from Jeep for the same years...weird....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

OK I let my fingers do the walking and I found a civie dist for only $300 plus a core from surplus city jeep parts. Memphis Equipment makes a HEI dist unit by putting the stock shaft ona a new dist for only $497. The Jeepster Man Inc has the civy Dist for $175 + $75 for a core. So I think that I will just spen the $60 to $75 dollers to get a drop in 12V coil and be happy with that. I'm only doing it until I drop in another engine. So what do you guys think??

Default Distributor Answer

I think those prices are outrageous. I picked up a used distributor off Ebay for 35 bucks. They are out there if you have the patience. You don't need anything new or fancy just to get you by if you know you're swapping anyhow. I also grabbed a new 12v starter from Ebay for about the same price as the distributor.

Chris

kalikraven,Ihad good luck running a salvage yard search with various on line searches nationwide.happened to find one in the next state and drove over and pulled it myself,paid $40.00 for I it and also scored a cherry complete grille and radiator support from a 65 gladiator with lights and wiring for another $50.00! keep looking they're out there...KIRK

I found a civvy motor and pulled the distributor and 2 barrel carb and intake off it...actually bought the motor as a spare but have only needed a few small parts from it other than the dist and carb/intake.
    I agree, those prices are fantasticly over the top...I paid $200 for my spare motor as it was a good running engine that I had actually been doing the maintenance on for a while...carb was rebuilt the year before...and I got all the parts from there...I would look around and see what you can find....I am shocked by those prices...absolute robbery it seems to me.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Kalikraven sent me a pic of the distributor NAPA is selling that is the WRONG one...they list it for the 230 engine, but this is the 199/232/258 engines distributor, NOT THE 230's. NAPA also lists it under the correct engines. NAPA part number is NRD481646.

And here is the only shot I have of the HEI distrib setup for the 230 engine...you can see from the length of the shaft that this is NOT going to clear the stock fuel pump...

Hope this helps end some of the confusion...
    brute4c

I have used the Internet parts search on several occasions. You pay $5.95 I believe and they go out to the world. I got a civvie distributor from a salvage yard in ND for $75.00 plus shipping. Unit is used but servicable. Good luck.

I have ordered a 12V drop in coil to convert my system over. While playing with the stock distributor I have taken it apart completely to clean it up. There is not much too it. I have heard a rumor somewhere on this board tath the stock distributor has no vacume or mechanical advance, well they are wrong. It has a mechanical advance. I will take pictures of it and post them if anyone is inteerested and if somebody can tell me how to post pictures. Thank you for all your help guys.

Yes it has mechanical advance weights...the vacuum setup is missing on the mil setup though and with it you get better performance when taking off the line, more advance at speed for better power and fuel economy....(oxymoron??)...and in my case, it seemed to get smoother across the whole rpm band.
    To post pics, they need to be on the net somewhere already...then you create a link to the pic by clicking on the 'img' button below where you type in your reply....down on the bottom of the page in all those buttons...after you hit the img once, type or paste in the web address of the pic, then hit the button again...you should see these codes with the web address between them:
    [img]
    followed by
    [/img]
    if you put that on one line in your post, it will include the pic you put in the address of in your post.
    brute4c