Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIG

I know that welders have been debated many times in the past. I don't want a debate. I want a 220 volt 200 amp MIG welder. I finally sold my '53 Studebaker street rod type truck and have the money to buy a mig. I am looking for information on the best quality welder anybody knows about at the lowest price. I would prefer a national chain, TSC, Home Depot kind of thing since shipping would kill any good deal for a welder. The money is burning a hole in my pocket and I want to buy sometime in the next week. Thanks.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default MIG

Lincoln Electric IMHO make the best. You can get a small 110v wire feed flux core for just a few hundred at Home Depot. Or go to a welding supply house in your area and get an Lincoln that has the argon tank etc. Just my $.02 worth.
    Zone holster maker

Check out www.cyberweld.com they have pretty good prices and also include shipping. (you pay for it some way or another)
    I got my Miller 210 at National Welders they were local, had it in stock, and got the free stars and stripes helmet.
    Hope this helps..
    Ricky...seeya...

4. Default

Go with the gas MIG not the flux core, you'll be happier over time.
    The MILLER 210 is an excellent set-up!
    1969 M715

Miller 250X if I had $2000 to burn. It'll weld soda can up to 1/2" single pass.
    Big Blocks RULE!

I love the Miller electronic mig/tig/stick units. We have four here at work. I can't afford the $2,800+ price though. Thanks for the other suggestions. I do want and will not settle for anything but gas shielded. I hate flux cored.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

eastwood has a lincoln tig 175 for 1549.99 stick/tig

Default lift kits/suspension lifts

Flux core does have it's place -- working in a stiff breeze will blow your shield away -- but I use gas anyway outdoors, and either rig a shield, or cup my hand around the nozzle. Gas mix makes for a much cleaner job.

Check the duty cycle on the welder -- some of them get down to about a 10% duty cycle at max amps -- not worth having -- think of letting the coil cool down for 54 minutes out of every hour of "welding" (six minutes).

DP
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

I kind of had the Millermatic 210 in mind when I started my search. I don't want to spend $1,200 plus though. I found one near here for $1,100. That is still kind of high though. I also found a Hobart Ironman 210 for around $900. I heard sometime ago that Miller owns Hobart and that they are exactly the same welders as far as construction and quality. Can anybody confirm that? Also, I wanted to find one that will handle the 12" spools. They are much cheaper to buy and hold several times the wire as the small ones. Does anybody have any experience with the Hobart? The only Hobart I have ever used was a little 110v flux core POS that wouldn't make a good bead no matter how it was set up or who the user was.

When it was time to upgrade the lincoln weldpak 100, I decided I wanted around a 200 amp machine.I looked at miller and lincoln, thought they were pricey.Went to Farm & Fleet (local farm supply business) that sold hobart. I liked the price, but didn't like seeing a stack of xerox copies of where the local factory authorized repair center was. Big no no in my book!!!!!! So now we are back miller and lincoln, myself I was leaning towards a miller just on the fact a buddy of mine is running a millermatic 250 that's older than dirt. Now I'm standing in front of the millermatic 210, giving it the final once over I notice it has a 7 step control for the amps....look over at the millermatic 251, infinite control of amps and wire speed. I like that, now how am I going to pay for this and not end up in the doghouse. Well, the 251 is in the garage and I'm still in the house. Did I need to buy one that big? no. Will it last forever? I hope so.

John