ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion > PseudoZone - Open Archive

Old November 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM

PseudoZone is a Soldier
Default fwdstuck : one plug wire, low spark

one plug wire, low spark
Post by fwdstuck on Jun 6, 2006, 10:08pm

5 of my 6 plug wires have great spark, exept for the last cylinder in the back witch is bearly sparking and making it miss. Is is the points or the rotor or the cap. I hope it isn't the cap ($100 bucks).
Could I clean one of these or put on a new rotor to fix it. I switched plug wires and spark plugs and it did the same thing. So I know it isn't the plug wires or the spark plugs. Thanks
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Grand Poobah

brute4c is a Soldier
Default brute4c :

Re: one plug wire, low spark
Post by brute4c on Jun 7, 2006, 8:42am

Not the points....

Could be cap...rotor less likely as it would seem to do it on every cylinder...

Another place to look would be the lobes on the distributor shaft that the points ride on....they do wear and it may be that for whatever reason, the one for #6 is worn down to where the points dont open properly at that point....

Try looking at it to see if you can notice a difference....I would check the point gap at each high point of the cam to see if there is a variation...

Possible, but unlikely, the distributor shaft could be moving around like it is bent due to the shaft bearings being worn...so the rotor tip is getting to the rest of the spark towers but is getting pulled away from the side #6 is on.
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:24 AM

Binford is a Soldier
Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 7, 2006, 11:12am

I'd look at the cap. Clean it really well and try again. Or the lobe for the points--good idea.

PseudoZone is a Soldier
Default fwdstuck :

Post by fwdstuck on Jun 9, 2006, 12:48am

I checked everything out, all okay. So it must be the cap.
I cleaned it, but it still does the same thing. I figured the lobes wern't wore with only 10,000 miles on it. But the point gaps on each lobe were fine and dandy. The shat didn't have any play or wasn't bent. So I think I need a new cap.
Grand Poobah

brute4c is a Soldier
Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jun 9, 2006, 8:32am

Sounds good to me....

Note that there have ben a few units that did show rotor lobe wear in the 10,000 to 25,000 mile range...bump_r's for one...dont know why...and itis possible that someone was in there before and left something that could have caused or problem or did something, like jam a screwdrivr in there r such, that could have caused one...unlikely, yes....possible, sadly yes....

But I am glad to hear it wasnt that!!

Please keep us informed as to whether or not the cap fixes it...maybe we have encountered something new here, maybe not...THANKS!!