Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: M715 Hauler / Crawler Build

The big block is back together!

Had the block hot dipped, magnafluxed and line honed. New cam bearings and freeze plugs as well. Shot a coat of GM Corporate Blue.

Laid the crank with new bearings.

Cleaned up and reused the pistons and connecting rods. New rings and rod bearings.

Reused the cam and timing set.

New oil pump (standard volume and pressure), tack welded the pickup tube.

Cleaned up and reused the oil pan, damper and remote oil cooler adapter. New timing cover and seal.

The heads that were on the motor when I got it were toast. I found a set of truck heads with a fresh rebuild on Craigslist for dirt cheap. I gave them a once over and bolted them down.

I had the intake manifold media blasted and then shot a coat of high temp clear to seal up the porous aluminum. Cleaned up the carb and valve covers.

real nice welding and fab work

Yes, that really does look nice and bring back memories of rebuilding engines. I suppose the only engine that I will be rebuilding anytime in the future will be the engine in my Corvair.

Did you have to do anything special to the front and rear drive shafts in order to mount to the married np205? What is the angle as compared to the original divorced np200?

Thanks for the compliments, I've still got some things to learn about welding but I'm fairly pleased with the outcome.

Nice, the Corvair is on my long list of possible next projects.

The stock drive shafts will not work with the married 205 in my application. The rear is too short and the front is too long (not sure if the yoke sizes are the same either). I didn't measure the drive shaft angles with the NP200 in there but only have a few more things to do before the drive train is going back in the truck.

On to the updates…I cleaned up the transmission and transfer case. New seals and gaskets for the transfer case. I ground the RWD shift rail to allow for independent control and bolted on the ORD twin stick kit.

Engine, transmission and transfer case are in.

Made some more progress.

I replaced the lower steering column bushing. Cleaned up and re-greased the upper bushing/bearing parts.

Mounted the stock e-brake handle to the SM465, there are two well placed threaded holes on the SM465, problem is the e-brake mounting bracket is hardened so I couldn’t drill through it. So I made a bracket that uses the factory hole locations.

A few more parts finding their home on the engine.

Installed the gas pedal and linkage (from Surplus City).

Mockup drive shaft, I think it’s just a bit too short. Angle is 19°. The CV clears the crossmember by .500”

A few more pics

Clutch linkage any GM hydroboost are in.

I used the factory Jeep bell crank assembly, cut the short ears off and welded on some longer ones with a few extra holes for adjustability. Clean up one of the clevises from the NP200 shift linkage and use it for the clutch side push rod. I cut the factory Jeep clutch pedal push rod and welded a 7/16 bolt to the end and put a heim joint on that end.

The hydroboost mount is pretty self explanatory. So I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

Everything seems to clear the sheet metal with room to spare.

Aww, you make it look so easy! Nice fabrication and nice welds, dude! Me so jealous... Keep it rolling.