Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 230 Tornado Header Flange

Default 230 Tornado Header Flange

So I've been working on this for a while, finally had a chance to go ahead with it. I did this for a couple of reasons: I don't want to try to find another cast exhaust manifold if mine ever cracks, I'd like to see if I could get an ounce or too more performance outta the 230 (a tall feat, I know), and also just to see if I could.

So with a new exhaust manifold gasket in hand, I set to creating the profile in CAD. I then laser cut it at work, and voila, I have the flange to build an exhaust header.

Here is the exhaust flange. (Looks like there is something underneath it...)

There she is, 1/4" 304 Stainless Steel.

Here is a pic looking down, I think I nailed the hole locations. On the left, the gasket is curling up a bit, thats why it looks like the holes don't quite line up. If I lay the gasket flat, its perfect. (I forgot to take my can of courage outta the picture, lol)

So has anyone built their own headers? Any advice? I think I have a pretty good idea on how I'm going to go about doing this. I got the 3-to-1 collectors already, and a friend who has boxes of cuts and peices since he builds headers for his business. Still, I've never built a set, so I'll take any input, thank you.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Brandon, you can buy all the pieces to make it yourself. They sell little dough nuts of tubing with very accurate diameters. The center is as small as your finger. You do a straight cut and you can weld it in any direction and not have fitting issues. The hotrod shops use them to make headers from scratch.

I am living vicariously through you with your projects. Nice work.

Are you following the H20 pump thread?

Tomorrow is truck and 4x4 day at woodburn. Hope to see you there.

Peel out dude.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Yes, I was reading up on the H20 pump thread, that is up there on the top of my project list. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the drags, , but trust me, I've got some very cool new toys that need to be moved and placed in my shop this weekend... If you can swing by my place, I can at least get you 1 water pump for yourself to mess with. I have another one that I'm going to mess with, and between the two we should be able to help with the issue.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

PM sent.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Long and small tubes are low end torque...short and big are high end horsepower...

VERY nice work!!!!!!

Nice work Brandon, are you going to try and use stainless tubing? Or tig in some mild steel tubes? I can't wait to see your progress.

be prepared for some headaches. i have built a few sets of headers, and done alot of full exaust systems with a box full of mandrel bends from summit. it is rewarding when you are done, but to get it all nice and a good fit everywhere is a pain sometimes.
    Good Luck and have fun
    Ryan

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
    done alot of full exhaust systems with a box full of mandrel bends from summit. it is rewarding when you are done, but to get it all nice and a good fit everywhere is a pain sometimes.
    I did mine that way for the 715 in 2.5 inch aluminized pipe. It was tricky and time-consuming, but it worked well and clears everything nicely.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

for what an exaust shop around here charges it way cheaper to spend a few nights doing it yourself. then you end up with non-crimped tubes and a little more satisfaction.
    ryan

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I agree, and not only that, but if you've ever used a pipe bender and tried to make some of the complicated bends in an exhaust system, like the over the axle part, you'd gladly weld up a system after that!

I had the use of a friends' shop and exhaust machine and made a couple systems for different cars I have owned, and after doing it that way, and using up about twice as much pipe as necessary, I found that the kits work so much better for me. A good exhaust fab man with the bender is worth his weight, but for me its always a box of bends and the MIG......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™