ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old June 16th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Private

jhartings is a Soldier

Interesting... let us know how it goes. Could be interesting. You upgrading anything else while you have it out? Radiator?
Old June 17th, 2019, 07:41 AM
Private

plumas.placer.miner is a Soldier
Default Rusty Old Parts

Hi Jeremy,
I am only replacing the parts that are necessary to meet my goals, which are:

1. Safe operation. My family and friend's safety comes first.
2. Dependability. I will use the truck on my mining claims in very remote areas.
3. Exterior originality (as much as possible). I want the truck to be parade worthy.

The radiator is in surprisingly good condition. I don't know if it's original or not, but I am going to use it.

I am just hemorrhaging money on this project. I sold a Toyota pickup and a Polaris Ranger to buy this truck and fix it up. I burned through that money in no time...plus a whole buncha "phat stacks" more.

I also bought the matching trailer and the large Quincy Air Compressor, as they were important for the project. The compressor will come in handy for the frame sandblasting in the future. That's what I have been telling myself... haha.

Those are my thoughts on this anyway. I have never worked on any kind of classic auto restoration project before. I have never replaced an engine before. This is all brand new for me, and I am completely in over my head on this. My wife just shakes her head, but is lovingly supportive. Professionally, I am a 2D animator and Motion Graphics Professor. This project is definitely out of my professional comfort zone. Well, I am known to tell my students, "It's not what you already know, but what you can learn that matters.", so here I go trying to learn something completely new...and challenging. Whoa nelly!

I have no choice but to press on and complete this engine swap and M715 rehabilitation project to completion. I already know that I will never be able to get back the $ I am putting into this truck, but if I need to, I could sell the truck quickly because it's a rare beast and it will be mechanically sound when I am done.

Sometimes it feels like I may never be done...

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 17th, 2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old June 17th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Private

jhartings is a Soldier

Well keep going brother. I think your doing great. Really cool project. Keep them pics coming!
Old June 17th, 2019, 06:16 PM
Private

Default Today's Progress...

I have a couple of surgeries scheduled in a couple of weeks...I need to get this engine in the truck and running before that. It's a race against time.

Copper doggie (The mighty lizard hunter) is keeping watch while I work...

Old June 18th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Private

Default Getting There....

The new clutch arrived today, so I can put the engine in tomorrow after my son takes his driving license practical exam. God help us all...haha. Actually, he's a pretty good driver. He's taking the test in his Tacoma...5 speed manual transmission. That alone ought to be good for a few extra points... haha.

My neighbor suggested that I paint the engine gray, so I could see when a new oil leak shows itself. That sounds pretty practical, but I decided to go with the Marine Corps Forest Green (RAPCO 24052). That's the closest match I could find for the color of my truck.

The engine bay is cleaned up (well enough for now). I had to weld a cross bar that supports the steering box. It was broken off at the frame opposite side. I just took a 2" short length of galvanized 3/4" steel water pipe, (which fit nicely over the support bar) and used it as a collar, which I welded to the frame. It'll do for now until I sandblast the frame (sometime in yon distant future).

The rubber pucks on the bolts and springs that hold the cab to the frame are completely rotted under the cab, so I am going to attempt to loosen the bolts and replace the entire assemblies. Wish me luck (and plenty of WD40 !!).

I just need to put this hog back together. I still need to rebuild the carb, receive the intake manifold from a machine shop and attach (I decided to have it cleaned and glass-beaded. I don't want that old manifold carbon in my new engine!), receive and attach the *new* exhaust manifold (the old one was warped), install radiator and hoses, install fuel pump, prime the oil pump, install distributer, install oil pressure send unit, install starter, alternator, connect wires, exhaust pipe, perform timing and carb adjustment.

*whew* That really ought to do it...um...I think...

"What have I forgotten...?" "I know I must have forgotten something...".

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 19th, 2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old June 18th, 2019, 10:20 PM
Private

m38inmaine is a Soldier

Looks great, thanks for keeping us updated, look forward to seeing the end result.
Old June 19th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Corporal

Nailhead is a Soldier

If you're having that manifold bead-blasted, make sure you clean it throughly, or you''re likely to wish you'd chosen to leave its previous carbon residue.

You do a pretty good impression of a mechanic. Keep up the good work.
Old June 20th, 2019, 07:40 AM
Private

That is excellent advice Nailhead!

What do you recommend I use to clean the manifold with after it comes back from being bead blasted? Should I flush it with a solvent like Prep-sol that evaporates fast and with very little residue?

You must be spot-on...the instructions I received with the engine core recommended NOT using an old intake manifold that has been sand or bead blasted exactly because of what you write. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I feel like a mechanic...my hands hurt like hell, but I appreciate the compliment.

Finally got that engine in last night at 10:00 pm. *whew*

I have a "school of hard knocks" story to tell:

We (my teenager and I) got the engine to mate up with the bell housing in the truck by 4:30 pm yesterday, only to find out that the bell housing had a steel bushing (pin) sticking out on the opposite side that the 232 bell housing had in it. (These bushings are used to line the engine and bell housing up together). Anyway, the 232 had an "innie" and an "outtie" also but they were on opposite sides of the new 258 bell housing. So, we had to lift the engine back up and take the bell housing out. Bummer. I thought I was going to need to buy a different bell housing because the one that came with the 258 I bought for a core return was completely different. A new one, if I could find it, was going to be $ cha-ching $. *ouch*

But, in order to take the bell housing out, we had to remove all of the transfer case shift linkage and the parking brake linkage. All of it (more bummer). Good thing I took photos first...uh huh. Say what you like about these phones, but having a camera handy is just....um...handy.

Here's the "school" part. After we got the bell housing out, I realized that the "outtie" was just an inserted steel bushing that could easily come out with a pair of adjustable pliers. I could have done that with the engine still partially inserted onto the transmission spline in the truck! Dang-blast-it!

The one consolation (I try to stay positive when possible) is that I have become newly and *intimately* familiar with the shift linkage. I even cleaned up the parts a little bit in the parts washer before putting them back in the truck.

Cool stuff to share: I have a photo of the adaptor plate that allows the AMC/Jeep engine to mate to the T-981Z transmission. I thought you folks would like to see that. It's definitely not homemade. A little rust abatement on the adaptor...a little parts solvent and a wire brush to that bell housing and we slapped that bad puppy back in the truck. Like I said, we got that engine in the truck, and three bolts in, by 10:00 pm last night.

The new exhaust manifold arrives today. Time to start attaching the sundries to the block...

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 20th, 2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Private

Default Engine Install and...

First, I want to thanks the Moderators for allowing me to document my M715 Project Progress.

Okay, so here's what the 258 looks like in the engine bay.

And here's my latest "bonehead maneuver" haha.

*Note to self*: One shouldn't use OSB as a rolling foundation under the engine hoist. This makes things more difficult when it comes time to actually roll the hoist. An engine hoist needs to roll (it's one of the many engine hoist special features). haha.

To move the hoist after it had already busted through the OSB, we attached a ratchet strap to the hoist and to the truck bumper. This had the effect of rolling the truck toward the hoist instead of moving the hoist toward the truck. I know right? What a *dumb-a**...haha. That said, it worked. If you can't pull the hoist to the truck, then pull the truck to the hoist.

That bad news is that I had the transmission supported on a scissor jack and some cribbing blocks, which of course failed instantly, pulling the transmission down in front and pulling the short shaft spline apart.

*note to self*: I am not a mechanic, I only play one on TV.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 20th, 2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old June 20th, 2019, 10:52 AM
Private

jhartings is a Soldier

Nice work Brian. Looks great man!