Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got her on the road!

Thanks Joe. Agreed, any progress is good. Seeing some guys make massive progress is awesome, but, keeping the plates spinning and having time for my hobby is good too!
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Hydroboost mounted and plumbed. I may get some time tomorrow afternoon to bench bleed the MC, and run new lines

Thanks, George

George,
    Don't bother putting fluid in the system until you get all the lines run. It will just make a big mess.

Then "bench bleed" the master on the truck by putting those plastic plugs that come with the master back in. Then with fluid in the master, push real slow on the pedal all the way down and then let it up slowly. Bubbles will come up each time you do it until you actually get pressure. Then just stop, hook up the lines and you should be set. Except for the air in the new lines.

Besides trying to fill the new lines and let the air bubble up. I can't think of a clean way to get that air out.

Since you are using new lines and have a new master. It might be a good idea to put in BFS or silicone instead of DOT 3 that will rust everything out in a few years.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks for the tips Tim. I am one piece of brake line short, so no fluid in it yet. Tell me more about the BFS or dot 5. I haven't really investigated too much.
    Thanks, George

DOT 3 and 4 are water absorbing fluids. So, moisture in the air will get into the brake system through the vented master cap. That moisture will rust the inside of the lines and cylinders over time.

True DOT 5, not DOT5.1, is water rejecting silicone based. The military calls their DOT 5 Brake Fluid Silicone.

According to a David Doyle written article in a 2003 MVM edition. The M715 was the actual test bed for the silicone or no silicone brake fluid question back when they were new. 4 truck, 2 with DOT3 and 2 with DOT5 were driven all over the place, Canal Zone, Alaska, snow, hot and dry for a year.

They cut all the brake parts from the trucks up to inspect them. The silicone trucks had brand new looking parts. The DOT3 trucks had rust and pits all over. The military soon after changed over to all silicone.

However, things are not all roses. The BFS will still get water in the system. It will just be in isolated pockets all by itself. BFS also doesn't like to sit for months without pressure being applied. Basically, a truck with BFS needs to have the pedal pushed a few times every week or two and every other year it should have a flush done or at the least. A quart or so of new fluid put in while old fluid is removed.

BFS is also more spongy that DOT 3. It will feel different. ABS cars and trucks in the US can't use silicone because the computers and pumps are set up for DOT 3/4. That means driving a newer car all week and getting into a BFS vehicle will make you think you have brake problems the first few times you push the pedal.

I put a brand new Corvette master on my M715 in 2004, Redid all the wheel cylinders then too. New DOT 3 in the system because BFS cost too much. By the summer of 2009, my cast iron master was a rusted mess and the rust had clogged up the piston seals. I had to put in another new one. I swapped over to BFS and the master is still shiny. I pressure bled about 1/2 pint out a year ago just to do a "mini" flush. Other than that, I haven't touched it.

My M35 gasser had all new everything including hoses and lines in 2008. I put in DOT 3. 4 rusted wheel cylinders and an air pack rebuild later. I have it all BFS and no more problems.

There are dealers online that will sell surplus BFS by the gallon. 2 gallons can be at your door for less than $100.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Good info Tim, thanks. I will definitely switch to 5
    Thanks, George

Thank for the info from means well.

I started making a fan shroud that will fit the new radiator and engine. I made a plywood mold, stretched an old T shirt over it and put the first layer of fiberglass on it

Thanks, George

Good idea!!! That's how I'm planning to build my hard top some day. its amazing how many things you can build with fiberglass. Good job dude, can't wait to see the finished product

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Looking good georg. By the way how was your deer seasion?