Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cummins swap... the hard way

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post

I'm assuming this picture is the M715 body sitting on the Dodge frame? Do you have any other perspective shots of this?

I'm looking at doing a frame swap as well so I can keep the original Dodge suspension on the front axle and keep the Dodge rear axle as well. My worry has been it will look like a frame swap and not look natural but from the angle of your picture it does look as if it came that way from the factory. So I'm assuming you have already notched the bed to fit around the frame? Any pictures of that?
    See if any of alosix pictures of his build are still around. He used the stock M715 frame with Dodge axles and powertrain. He used the lower links in the spring mounts for the front axle, they fit pretty good. He had to fab the upper link mounts and panhard mount on the M715 frame.

i get your concerns, frame swaps rarely look good. i spent a lot of time getting the body to sit as low as possible in the frame. the cab sits 3\4 of an inch above the frame and the bed is at 1"3/4 above the frame. i did have to cut channels in the "tool box" to get it to sit low enough. i also had to trim the heat shield on the passenger side of the firewall to clear. otherwise it was super easy. im doing a rear shackle flip to help the ride and to eliminate some interference with a bed mount. I support the frame swap it was way easier than expected to shorten the frame and i think it looks good. Plus you get a frame and suspension that you can purchase parts for at NAPA. one concern is neither the dodge or jeep gas tank will fit, its sorta a tight squeeze in there ( the dodge frame is narrower than the jeep frame.)

hope these photos help. if you need anything else ill be glad to help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    See if any of alosix pictures of his build are still around. He used the stock M715 frame with Dodge axles and powertrain. He used the lower links in the spring mounts for the front axle, they fit pretty good. He had to fab the upper link mounts and panhard mount on the M715 frame.
    Thanks for that heads up. I haven't had time to search for the pictures yet but I did go out and measure the Dodge frame and compare it to the Jeep frame. The lower control arm mounts are only 1/2" difference in width. And the stock control arm length should actually put the axle in the correct spot on the Jeep frame length wise.

The problem I see really is the Dodge frame is 2 inches narrower than the Jeep frame where the shock/spring mounts need to go on the frame side. So I'd either have to move the pads on the axle (if that were even possible) or I'd have to cut pretty deep into the Jeep frame and modify that to keep the springs/shocks in the stock Dodge position.

Quote Originally Posted by P2V3350 View Post
    one concern is neither the dodge or jeep gas tank will fit, its sorta a tight squeeze in there ( the dodge frame is narrower than the jeep frame.)

hope these photos help. if you need anything else ill be glad to help!

Thanks for the pictures. As has been said by someone wiser than me "A picture is worth a thousand words."

The gas tank was going to be my next question. Have you got a solution figured out yet?

FWIW I'm not making mine a 6BT Cummins truck. I'm actually going with a LBZ Duramax and 6 speed Allison in mine.

I really like the idea of using the Dodge frame. It may be equal fabricating either way but having a frame under me that is a bit more modern has a certain appeal to me too.

for the gas tank i see a coupe of options, if i fab up a new rear frame support. ( the one that runs the width of the frame) it will free up room to put a older style chevy truck tank in between the frame rails where the spare tire was. otherwise its fab up a tank or there are some 20 gal universal tank options that will fit from jegs but they will sit a bit low for my liking. i have to remove the rivets from the shackle mounts anyway and thats what holds in the rear frame support/ spare tire hanger.

i support the frame swap the fab work and math involved is way easier than making your own suspension. chopping the frame is easy and all of these small problems add up but are easy fixes.

also i forgot to tell you but the stock shock towers and spring perches in the front require minimal trimming of the inner fender well to fit. a body saw made quick work of this.

I put my bed/cab on a 2002 Dodge frame and it looks great. Did not cut the bed at all but did cut/remove factory mounts and put custom body mounts on. I will put link to thread. Project on hold right now due to a 69 Wagoneer I just bought that my wife wants to drive pretty bad.

Thanks jhartings. Yes I've seen your thread. I've even commented/subscribed to it. I'm really hoping to see a nice side shot from about 15-20 feet away to see how natural the body looks on the frame. On P2V3350's it seems like it may look like it belongs.

I don't really want to hijack this thread. That isn't my intent but I have been thinking about doing something like this for quite a while and P2V3350 seems a bit further along than you. Not trying to say anything negative but after reading what I typed it may come across that way. I don't mean anything negative by it. I'm happy that I have multiple examples to look at before I start cutting and welding anything either way.

I've been working on a 1998 Jeep TJ for a couple years (wow it's been that long already) and am not really all that happy with how the frame looks under the Jeep and it's a 1998 Jeep TJ frame...

well sorry gents, i had to take some time off for an injury to my back, devoice and covid..... but the build is back on and radiator is going in. this project sorta stalled for a bit but im motivated to finish it once again.