Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum wiper motor restore

I'll try to post this from my phone. Not sure how well it will work...

The trick will be whether you can remove the 6 top screws.

First remove the switching unit cover. Be careful with the gasket!
    (First picture)

Then the 6 top screws
    (Second picture)

You'll probably see a bit more grease built up at the top of the paddle swing on both sides. This one is very dry.
    (Picture 3 and 4)

If it's dry, add some grease. Just smear a light coat all over the inside until the paddle has what you think is enough resistance. If there's enough already, just use it instead.

Last picture, the top gasket. Also something to be careful with.

Have fun! Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    1968 M-715 w/1100R16s on Stockton wheels, H3 headlights, 2bbl upgrade...

I popped one open when I replaced my windshield. There are springs, but usually you won't need to take it apart so deeply.

The thing to be careful of is the very thin paper gasket that might tear if you aren't super-careful.

Scrape the old, overly-viscous and gelatinous oil out of the wells, and replace with oil or very thin grease. Somebody once suggested to me vegetable oil, but I'd only use that in an emergency I think. It attracts bears...creating more of an emergency. haha

That's how my life turns out sometimes.

Bears... haha!

I had an old mechanic tell me a few years ago to use Vaseline in these wipers.

Vegetable oil might attract hippies too. Lots of vegetarians in California.

Quote Originally Posted by bmac6026 View Post
    I had an old mechanic tell me a few years ago to use Vaseline in these wipers.
    That might be just the thing. Pretty close, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
    Vegetable oil might attract hippies too. Lots of vegetarians in California.
    I'm not sure the smell of vegetable oil carries very far unless it's hot enough to fry doughnuts. I wouldn't mix it patchouli though.

Up where my claims are, near the Pacific Crest Trail in the high Sierras, the bears could easily come into camp because we are 1/2 mile away down in a steep canyon all day. My camp is unoccupied during the day so critters can have their way with anything. If they walk next to the M715, they might smell the (vegetable haha) oil and rip open the door. I stay up there for weeks on end in the Summer and sometimes we don't see a single person for two weeks. My claims are very remote and hard to get to. We camp almost at the end of an old, seldom travelled mining road. There are cats up there too, but I have never seen one. I have seen cat sign however.

The only thing that keeps bears out of camp are my dogs. The dogs mark a large perimeter around camp so bears haven't come into camp... yet. That's why I have these dogs.

For the hippies and tweekers, I just place one .44 Mag cartridge on the side table of a camp chair and place it on the road in front of camp. I also have game cameras posted in strategic places.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; March 22nd, 2020 at 02:54 PM.

That's cool! Except for the 'bears' part.

Well, sorry to be off topic. I have a tendency to do that sometimes. The non-linear mind is oft challenging to manage. In my work it's an asset (computer graphics education), in other areas of my life, not so much...sometimes.

Anyway, when I cracked open my wiper motors, I did notice some very viscous lubricant. It looked like petroleum jelly, and I assumed it was oil that had been aged so much that it jelled or stiffened or something. So, i did a little prelim research and people were talking about this or that, and one mentioned vegetable oil. That's what took me to the outer limits in bear country. haha.

You folks know I am an artist..right? I used to be an animator in Hollywood. True Dat. Anyway, I think "animation thinking" is the culprit here.

I vehemently deny any involvement. haha