Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sweeney : Got my cab back from sandblasting

Default fisherman :

Re: Got my cab back from sandblasting
    Post by fisherman on Oct 29, 2006, 12:36am

When finished sand blasting I wash everything thing with water very well. Then let air dry in the shop in front of the pellet stove or if small parts I have an old oven, simply turn on low, pull out the oven rack and place parts on it you can even leave it open dries stuff fast. Also makes the parts nice and warm for painting. If it was greasy, I usually use Castrol Super clean, to degrease and let dry, then wash lightly with brake clean before painting.

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Oct 29, 2006, 11:02am

Thanks for the info & heads up Fisherman and Doug, yeah I kinda thought that my pancake compressor wouldn't be sufficient. I think I'll invest in a bigger one.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Oct 29, 2006, 12:03pm

Gonna be expensive, at least where I live. Don't get an oiless they are junk and will only last a few years with semi consistent use. I bought mine used from a air compressor place that custom builds larger commercial units. The one I got was a trade in for a new compressor. They went through everything and all worked fine. I called my father in law in Pennsylvania to ask about it as it was made back there. One of his best friends owned Emglo which he sold to Black and Decker, Dewalt. He said the Kellog was one of the better compressors ever made. I would suggest looking around for an older used one, they seem to be better quality. Mine set around here outside, undercover for 3 years with out running. When I finally got the shop finished and compressor installed inside I had to replace a couple o rings in the pump. A couple oil changes and that thing has been a life saver. Plumbed the whole shop with air lines. I built and insulated box for my compressor with a large door. When it kicks on you can barely hear it. The box has air intakes and a seperate fan that pushed the warm air in the box out through a louvered dryer vent. So the compressor is quiet, and the box has a fresh supply of air flowing through when it kicks on. Two industrial water, oil seperators with regulators allow me to adjust things throughout the shop. My main air line follows the pitch of the shop roof, I installed 3 drops of pipe with petthingys in the bottom. 90% of the moisture runs down into those. I can drain those with a 4' ladder and a coffee can. My water seperators have never had any water or oil reach them in 4 years. Mostly my air is used for sand blasting, tools, painting. All the typical uses. I even plumbed underground to the barn and outside so I have air in those places. I bought the 100 gallon Kellog for $1,000.00 and it should last my lifetime. Good Luck

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Oct 29, 2006, 12:57pm

Rip68, Fisherman has hit alot of good points. Dry air for sandblasting is important. I would like to add that I have a Champion brand pump. Love it! I have seen many just like mine go for 200-300 on ebay in Ny. I would for a good used one there.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Oct 29, 2006, 1:00pm

Ebay# 190044047335

That is the 4cyl version of what I've got. I had been thinking about getting it till the deuce came up.

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Oct 29, 2006, 5:25pm

Thanks Fisherman and Rob, Sounds like a nice set up that you have Fisherman. I geuss they aren't too cheap. Could probably find something closer and a little cheaper if I look around. Rob, I noticed that one is three phase, even if I did pay out the $650 for it and the shipping - I would have to run a three phase circuit to the garage to power it. Can't the newer electric motors be wired single or three phase?

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Oct 29, 2006, 5:36pm

I would just get a single phase motor to swap in. I got my 5hp 220v single phase motor for 50.00. Depends on where you look.
    I meant for you to look for one near you. If you were going to have it shipped, check this one:

Its not far from me, I could check it out for you. Its the same pump I've got and you don't need to worry about 3 phase.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Oct 30, 2006, 12:31am

I wouldn't go with 3 phase unless you already have it. A good 220v motor will do just fine.

Default cjal :

Post by cjal on Nov 29, 2006, 1:18pm

just a note for comparision. I have like a 6hp 40 gallon cheapo craftsman compressor and that same harbor freight sandblaster and it took me the better part of a day just to blast the subfram assembly on my trans am. I could only blast for a minute and stop to let the compressor fill up(takes forever) and I wore out two tips so get lots of extras.
    Oh and I did it in my garage as it was winter!! ya, never do that again. it was three years ago and I still have sand EVERYWHERE!

Default squatch :

Post by squatch on Nov 29, 2006, 9:20pm

I have a small 50lb pressure pot. ok for little stuff but not heavy duty work like truck. I learned my lesson a couple of years ago. Started a militery trailer with my blaster. It took days and getting nowhere. I went to local rental place and rented 200lb pot and tow behind diesel compresser. Cost here $140.00 a day. Has hose about 2" dia on blast side. Then went to welding shop and bought course sand (for sandblasting) $7-10 per 100lb. Done in 1 day everything. Talk to the man about your project. Black beauty ect. not for car panels in hands of novice. Coated inside with"herculiner" and painted outside with rustoleum ind. 5 years of firewood ect. holding up great. This summer I rented same rig and used fine sand to blast an aluminum bassboat inside and out. Worked great no damage or warping. Just be sure to use good respirator SAND DUST CAN KILL if you breath.