Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weird louisiana military vehicle law.

abridged version....

my license plate was smashed in my wreck. its a usmc vet tag. ive had it 10 years, and it transfers from vehicle to vehicle.

im talking to a friend here, an fellow MV enthusiast. he tells me of a VERY obscure MV law.

i go to Dept Motor Vehicles and fill out the paperwork.

25 dollar one time fee (read LIFETIME) registers my vehicle as a military vehicle and uses my hood numbers as my tag.

so?

no more license plate.
    it never expires
    if, i sell it the new owner pays a 3.50 fee to transfer the registration to him, for the rest of his life.

maybe your states have it too.

well now that's allright. no more vehicle inspections[12.00 every year] i'm going to have to check into that. what's your new tag going to look like?

its the painted on hood numbers. there permenant. we are laughing here, because ASSUME i didnt get insurance. we are supposed to sieze the tag and place a temp sticker on the truck. they would have to scrape the paint off.

usmc 309131

which is:
    309-or- March 9. my sons birthday
    131-or- January 31, my twin girls birthday

they are 10.5 moths apart!

Thats a heck of a deal, you even got to chose your own numbers. I'll have to check here in NE.

In Texas we pay a 50.00 dollar fee which is good for 5 years (10.00 a year ), for that we get a 2inch square tag that is to be kept in the vehicle and submit a picture of the jeep . No inspection and you are not required to have insurance . This sure beats the heck out of owning a NORMAL vehicle !!! C

How do we do that in Texas?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman
    How do we do that in Texas?
    I want to know how to do that too.. Is it just for parade use or something like that? or can we drive it everyday with that..

8. Default Branch and time in Service

No it is not for EVERYDAY use, it is just like antique vehicle tags and you do get a licenses plate(1)
    Previous Military Vehicle. You do not have to have inspection, but the insurance reads sketchy as to if you need it or not. Registration is Pro-rated also, 5 years to start($50) then 4,3,2 then they reissue plates.
    I am making my truck 100% legal to have as a daily driver if I want to.(and can afford the gas!)
    Texas Law on Registration is weird.
    1969 M715

How often/how many miles can you drive it with this type of reg.?

Here in Ohio you can register your MV if it is 25 years old as a historical vehicle and then get a Historic tag one time fee and it stays with the truck. Then you can paint the plate number onto the vehicle as a bumber marking. For example my one jeep is like H60YJ ....so on the jeep I have painted H60YJ as a bumber marking. Then you have to carry the actual metal plate somewhere in the MV. This law also allows you to plate you vehicle with a plate from the year it was made. If I could find a 1960 Ohio plate and the number on the plate was not registared then I could put it on my 1960 Jeep (vet, what ever) and use that as my hystarical plate.
    Zone holster maker