Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Oil Filter Number...

Default What Oil Filter Number...

... Does the M715 (Jeep Tornado 230 CID) engine use? I think I see a PH8A on mine which would be the same as a lot of Fords and Chrysler Products. Is it really that easy?

Thanks in advance,
    Don

Yes.
    Though, personally I think fram filters are really cheap and not good for a motor...I use Wix brand which are also sold under the Napa brand name...the cross reference is 1515 for the Napa gold or 91515 for the one with the Nascar label...both a good filters...the Nascar one is a little less expensive.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Yes.
    Though, personally I think fram filters are really cheap and not good for a motor...I use Wix brand which are also sold under the Napa brand name...the cross reference is 1515 for the Napa gold or 91515 for the one with the Nascar label...both a good filters...the Nascar one is a little less expensive.
    Thanks! What a bonus, not some obscure number (Like My Corvair!). And I would agree with your choice of brands. I appreciate your help...

I use the Wix 51515 from my local parts store. (same as the NAPA 1515). It's the same filter that both of my cherokee's use too, so all the jeeps run the same filter which is nice. It's also a little bigger than the stock XJ filter, so it allows a bit more oil capacity and better filtration. I've never cut one open, but I've yet to hear bad things about Wix filters, and they appear to be quality pieces. Fram on the other hand...

Default motorcraft filter

motorcraft FL1A, walmart in stock.

Thanks again. I actually have that filter in stock here at home from previous vehicles that I have owned ('72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400 CID).

Default M715/725 Oil Filters

I would like to repost this thread with a question. I went to the Wix site and for the Wix/NAPA 51515 filter there is a Two Quart version. It is a 51773. http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...asp?Part=51515

Has anyone ever tried this filter? If the difference is only the height, it seems like it would fit. Is there another larger filter (possibly a 1 1/2-quart filter) that fits our trucks?

Will a larger filter actually filter any better that the stock filter? I know there is a lot of debate about number of pleats and square-inches of filtering material.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

I also use the NAPA 1515. Fits perfectly, never leaks. Honestly, I have never seen nor heard of the Wix brand. Is Napa and Wix one in the same? Is one better than the other?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    I also use the NAPA 1515. Fits perfectly, never leaks. Honestly, I have never seen nor heard of the Wix brand. Is Napa and Wix one in the same? Is one better than the other?
    Napa has a good filter and I have started using them on my "fleet". Wix is a brand that has been around since Moby Dick was a minnow...

I'm fairly certain Wix makes the Napa filters...