Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Oil Line Blew

it may be a possible solution, but I don't think I can justify spending too much more money on the 230... I plan to own the truck for many more years, and the cost/ availability of parts and maintaince wouldn't make sense for me and I think I'd be much happier with better parts support and of course, power...

Finally, some good news without bad news... The previous owner gave me a box of parts when I bought the truck. I found a new cap and rotor and a condenser. Installed the new cap, rotor and condenser, adjusted the points and now it's running the best it has since I've owned it. Quite a bit more power too (due to the addition of 3 more cylinders actually firing ). The only problem is that it still has the stumble if you punch it real quick, and if you rev it up too quick it will backfire through the carb. Seems like an accelerator pump problem, but I've checked the carb out pretty good and everything seems ok. Just a touch of choke makes it go away so that's what I do... Hopefully soon I can get the timing set and my ignition will be in pretty good shape. Maybe that will fix the stumble?
    I think the 230 heard that I looked at a chevy 1 ton with a 454 and 2wd 5-speed and decided to start acting right, so it will stay for now, at least until it will cost me more money to fix.

Remember that every time the points are adjusted or cleaned, the timing needs to be reset. A hair's width adjustment of the points is a massive change in timing.

--Randy

Good news? That sounds great! Free parts AND a better running truck...a win-win for you to enjoy!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Digging up this old thread to share my experience...

Since I had the front clip off the truck and needed to replace the valve cover gasket, I decided to replace the dreaded rear head oil supply hose. Like everyone mentioned, it was a bit of a pain to remove. Having the fenders off definitely helped. I tried the "use the existing hose like a wrench" method but it eventually ripped off.

Not necessarily a bad thing though, because it allowed me to fit a deep-well socket and extension onto the remaining fitting and use that as a wrench to get the rest of the hose out.

I wish I had read all of this thread before I took my next steps...

With hose in hand and the idea that "any good hydraulic shop can make one", I began an epic journey to 3 of the 4 corners of Columbus Ohio. If it takes a "good hydraulic shop" to make one of these, then there are no good hydraulic shops is Columbus. I went to 2 NAPAs, a hydraulics shop, a specialty hose/pipe shop and a Parker hydraulics retail shop. All of them looked at me like I was holding hens teeth or a Flux Capacitor. The real problem was the crimped inverted flare fitting that is used at the block-side of the hose. Apparently, that doesn't exist anymore...in any old hydraulic shop...anywhere.
    Once again, I wish I had read this entire thread...
    After some online searching, I came across Discount Hydraulic
    https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...BoC0y0QAvD_BwE
    So I placed an order:

And for ~$28 I received this fancy looking dude (shown here next to the original):

It looks OK but it has a couple of concerns. 1) The bulge in the fitting at the head end of the hose is big enough that I was barely able to tighten the NPT fitting into the head because the bulge started to contact the head.

2) The hose is 1/4" ID, just like the original, but the crimp fittings reduce the ID down in those areas, which makes me concerned about restricting the oil flow.

Also, in the process of test fitting the hose, I messed up the threads on the elbow fitting at the block. In case you are an idiot like me, JEGS will sell you one:

Anyway, here it is, installed on the engine ready to go(?):

Before doing all of this, I wish I had read this thread and used some smarts instead of buying parts.

Reflecting back, here are some things to consider (and I may just end up doing them instead of what I currently have).
    1. It would be nice to make the upper fitting a banjo style, so that access to tighten the fitting would be in vertical plane (above the head) instead of a horizontal one (behind the head). This would require a machined surface on the head for the banjo washer to seal on and I am not sure if a banjo fitting would restrict the flow too much. Anyway, this is just a dream so I canned it.
    2. The real problem is the inverted flare, so since I destroyed the elbow on the block fitting anyway, I should have used that opportunity to replace it with an NPT fitting. That would have allowed me to use simple NPT fittings like Brute4C did in post #48 of this thread.
    3. I had the cab off of this thing a while back. If I had read this thread, I would have replaced that line with a proper hard line and been done with it. With the cab on, I just don't think I could get a hard line in (I salute you guys that have). I debated cutting the ubiquitous firewall hole for access to a hard line. I know many people poo-poo this idea but if you look at the firewall, Jeep already has a bunch of holes and punch-outs very similar to this anyway.

Well its installed now. The real debate with me now is how bad I worry about the flow restriction. The more I dig into this project, the more I learn that all the "simple" things (like a simple brass fitting) may actually be a huge PITA. With that in mind, I need to scale how big a PITA replacing the head, cam, etc.. due to a lack of oil will be.

Sorry of the long winded thread.

Do not apologize for the alleged "long winded thread." First, it's not long winded -- it's detailed. That's a good thing. Second, In my view, detailed threads are the overarching reason for this forum. I can speak for myself and say that I've learned most of what I know about these trucks from this great forum and the fine folks who go out of their way to teach us about these trucks. In particular, I've learned plenty precisely from detailed posts such as yours. I am personally grateful for the knowledgeable people on this forum who are so willing to share their knowledge and experiences -- good or bad -- with these trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Vin View Post
    Do not apologize for the alleged "long winded thread." First, it's not long winded -- it's detailed. That's a good thing. Second, In my view, detailed threads are the overarching reason for this forum. I can speak for myself and say that I've learned most of what I know about these trucks from this great forum and the fine folks who go out of their way to teach us about these trucks. In particular, I've learned plenty precisely from detailed posts such as yours. I am personally grateful for the knowledgeable people on this forum who are so willing to share their knowledge and experiences -- good or bad -- with these trucks.

EXACTLY!! Thanks for the detailed post...that helps everyone else!!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
    Or you could do what the previous owner appears to have done on my truck.

Cut a hole!!!

Now where is my box of rubber plugs???

Mine too!!! And I had a new line made at NAPA.