Thread: Civilian Distributor Cap

Default Civilian Distributor Cap

Rebuilt my civilian distributor today. The tag says IAT-4416 which is the proper one. The problem is the NAPA AL128 cap does not fit. That is the cap number I see here on the zone and also on the NAPA parts list for that distributor. I am wondering if someone changed the way the cap is attached on my distributor. It has two "snap" catches about 1" long on opposite sides. No way the AL128 will snap fast which has the snap flanges right at the base, 3/4" short. Anyone have pictures of the civilian distributor that shows the cap attachments?

I have used the AL128 in the past and it worked...I hope they havent changed it...pics, hopefully they help a little...:

Default I see the problem

My existing cap was not proper and someone reversed the clips to make it fit. I took the screws out and flipped the catches and the AL128 fits. Not sure what the other cap was from but reversing the clips and slightly reforming the springs made it fit perfectly. I saw that the clips were wrong in the picture Jon. Thanks!

Most welcome...glad I could help!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I just looked at this thread, and I love it!

I can't think of how many times I have stared at something trying to figure it out in the past, only to see the correct thing and go, "man that was so simple!"

Used to be, you had to make a few phone calls, find someone with a similar vehicle or knowledge of said vehicle, then go see it and figure out the problem.

Gotta love the 'net and digital cameras!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Default Oil Cup

Jon, I also see an oil cup on your distributor. None on mine. You can see on the casting where one should be, but not drilled. Was this a change?

Not that I am aware of...dont know a whole lot about the civvy production stuff other than what I have seen...maybe they allowed for the oil to go in somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    I have used the AL128 in the past and it worked...I hope they havent changed it...pics, hopefully they help a little...:

Hey man, what civvy distributor is that? I'm here in Louisiana working on a friends 1967 M 715 and I'm wondering if there is a civvy distributor that will just bolt right in?

I have run into a problem that's driving me nuts.

When I first arrived the owner of the M715 stated it ran good sometimes then ran bad after a while. I found so many problems it wasn't funny. I fixed them all, but after the engine heats up and hits about 40 MPH it starts to break up, cough, backfire and have absolutely no power. If I let off the throttle (under 35MPH) it runs ok.

I checked the fuel system and found all sorts of wonderful problems.

1). Someone had installed an electric fuel pump, but it was only putting out around 2psi. I installed a new electric fuel pump, plus an adjustable fuel regulator. Set the
    pressure at 3.5psi.

2). The lines were clogged with crap so I blew out all the lines with compressed air.

3). Dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it out, no water in the fuel.. Painted it and put it back in.

4). Checked the carb and it was loaded with crap. Completely disassembled the carb,
    soaked it for 4 days in carb cleaner. Ordered a complete rebuild kit from Memphis Equipment. Completely rebuilt the unit. Installed a new inline fuel filter.

Start the truck up and it ran great until it warmed up and I hit 40MPH and it started to
    cough, break up and run like crap. I played around with the fuel pump regulator and it ran as crappy in all psi ranges.

Next I checked out the ignition system.

1). The points weren't exactly in the greatest of condition. The owner said he wanted an electronic ignition anyway.

2). I ordered a 12vt neg ground HEI sys from Pertronixs. The installation was a breeze. I forgot to ask pertronixs if I needed to install a condenser with their HEI upgrade, but since they provided no mounting screws or hole drilled into the plate I figured it wasn't needed.

Started it up, ran great until it reached operating temp and 40MPH same crap all over again.

3). Maybe the coil. Coils will do that if they have an internal short or are cracked.
    When they heat up they will arch over and the vehicle will run like crap.

4). Take off the aluminum cover, remove the coil and I noticed its a 24vt coil. I
    purchased a 12vt coil from my local NAPA, however I purchased one w/o an internal resistor nor have I installed an external one.
    Completely rewired everything. I ran into a few problems with arching over inside the distributor cover, but solved it. Nice hot spark.

Replaced the military wires and plugs with civvy stuff. Set the timing (spot on @ 5deg
    BTDC). I did noticed as I was timing the vehicle (I rev'ed it up) there was no advance at all.

Started it up, ran great until it reached operating temp and 40MPH same crap.

If the distributor shaft was outta round or the bushings were bad (eye balling, it looks fine.) that would cause it (with the point system) to run really terrible, but it shouldn't effect the HEI upgrade that fast.

I took a test light and checked around the distributor as the vehicle was running to make sure it wasn't grounding out or shorting out around the casing.

Started the vehicle up, ran absolutely wonderful...until I hit operating temp and 40MPH and its running like crap and coughing, spitting and driving me nuts.

I thought maybe the ignition switch was shorting out, so I hot-wired the vehicle...no change.

I noticed a few of yous guys were talking about the need or not of an advance for the
    ignition system. I believe its a centrifugal advance system.
    Question, is it crucial on these vehicles to have an advance? Before I remove the
    distributor and tear it all down to check the springs and such, I need to know if its crucial to the operation of this particular vehicle?

I was also thinking maybe I need to adjust the valves, but , even with valves a little out of wack (I hear no tappet noise whatsoever) shouldn't make it run this crappy?

Have any of yous guys ever run into a problem such as this? I've been an auto / boat / bike mechanic for over 40yrs and this is driving me crazy.

I checked all vacuum lines (all 3), spayed WD-40 around the intake manifold, carb mounting area, etc. no difference, plus I haven't heard any high pitched whines indicating a vacuum leak, but I figured what the hell give it a shot anyway. Someone on 715 zone stated they removed the pcv valve vac line and closed it off and their vehicle ran good. So I tried that (I know pcv valve are there to insure internal pressures don't build up to bad and cause oil leaks, but I gave it a shot to check it out). No difference.

Checked all grounds, everything is good.

This is driving me crazy. To find so many things wrong and to fix 'em yet still not be able the correct the problem is really unsettling to say the least.

I'd appreciate any help in this matter.

Shal ' aam
    AAPiY
    Mike

The civilian distributor in the pics is the one that fits the civilian 230 Jeep engine that they built from 1963 to 1965. The distributor fits only that motor and those years. They are harder and harder to find these days...maybe on Ebay or maybe in a junkyard in a Jeep from back then that still has the 230 in it.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!