Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another M715 is reborn, need your input.

Default Another M715 is reborn, need your input.

Hi
    I'm new to the group, but have been a fan of the m715 for a long time. I'll tell you the whole story and build from your input. This M715 had been plowing snow for many years at a house a few miles down the road from me. It was always parked in a field in the summer and I'd been meaning to stop and ask the guy about it. One day it was gone!!! I pulled up the driveway and there it was in front of the garage. The guy was going to cut it in half and make a trailer out of the bed! His dozer wouldn't start and he couldn't get it in the garage was the only reason it hadn't been cut up that morning. He said the trailer was worth 500.00 and we had a deal. 1968 M715, no rust, 17000 miles, tin top riveted to original soft top framework, spun bearing on connecting rod, brush painted orange over the original army numbers and star on the door.

So far, Ive done a spring over, tie rod on top, original enging and trans out, made my own wheels (16.5X 10 with 1954 international centers pressed, welded and riveted in) 44 ground hogs, 47 swamper ltbs when completed. Work at a bakery, so I have four cummins 4BT engines and various parts. Reasearching the 230 horse marine version of the 4 BT before install, have a ford ZF 5 speed trans (the big one) and am trying to figure out what transfer case to use as ford comes out the wrong side. Been using "Peeler" in a rattle can to get the brush paint off and have 4 gallons of military spec green aquired from a national guard buddy of mine. Have plans for power steering and a better master cylinder.

If I'm reading the law right, I should be able to run this on the street with the 47's. Michigan frame height law 1/2 ton 24 inches, 3/4 ton 26 inches, 1 ton 30 inches, over 1 ton "bumpers must be in stock location".

Have and aluminum D tank of a semi I'm putting in the bed for veggie oil.

Need a soft top and drivers seat recovered.

Don't have a lot of money, so most of this has been scrounged from junkyard pals.

Any recommendations as I build this monster. I'll get pics going soon.

Breadfan

What kind of plow was used on the truck?
    I am interested in putting a plow on mine for winter duty next year.

Zach

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Welcome aboard!!

What is it with you guys from Michigan and your fantastic trucks! Beast, another member from over that side of the lake has a great truck...several others have or are building them...I am gonna move over there I think!!

Cant wait to see pics...sounds fantastic!

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by breadfan498 View Post
    Work at a bakery, so I have four cummins 4BT engines and various parts. Reasearching the 230 horse marine version of the 4 BT before install,
    Just gonna make me cry now ...

Good, another member from the upper midwest. Have to throw together an area FE, give the upper left-coasters some competition! Brute4c-get that orange crush of a truck running this winter........you got the shop for it! That'll make three:~)

Scott

Theres at least 8 in Wiconsin offhand and about that many in Michigan...

Wanna help a fellow American who's down on his luck by donating one of them there 4BTs to the cause?....

Get an NP 205 and run it divorced from the transmission like the 200 is now in the truck...or look into a 208 and then just figure out how to marry it up. Divorce is easier.

Oh and
    Zone holster maker

Home made angle iron plow mount with a modified western plow. Looks a bit small for the truck. If you get any plow, you can make your own undercarriage for it.

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    Wanna help a fellow American who's down on his luck by donating one of them there 4BTs to the cause?....

Get an NP 205 and run it divorced from the transmission like the 200 is now in the truck...or look into a 208 and then just figure out how to marry it up. Divorce is easier.

Oh and
    I'm going to burn one down just seeing how much fuel/rpms it will take, then go from there. I'll let you know whats left, but I didn't know there was such an interest in this engine. I'll keep buying them up as they come along, if I get a stock a packrat is satisfied with, I'll start posting them for sale

I grew up in White Pine Michigan. I know exactallly where champion is. very small town in the UP not down in lower Michigan. The UPers are a lot closer to Wisconsin people in more ways than one. Lower Michigan people are called trolls since they live under the bridge. I am glad you saved that truck. It is my goal in life to save as many Jeeps as I can. I am a sucker for a rusted out pile that no one else wants, so I rebuild them from scratch with new metal. Hense the name Phoenix.

I would not use the ZF trans if you can help it, from my personal experience, It is not a good trans. I have had two friends with that trans and both had reverse gear go out of them. Both were 1990 ford F250s. one of the guys paid 1400 bucks to get his rebuilt even after I told him to get a NV4500. two months later the trans lost annother gear. Probably a bad rebuilder, but how can you mess up a manual trans?