Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canvas top

Default Canvas top

Hey guys, just looking to set up a canvas top on mine and get this hard top off. I have looked around and understand that even though there are several companies out there with them, the only real reliable one is Beachwood (though they're a bit pricey).

As I am to understand it, sometimes these canvas tops can vary a few inches here or there and is not always a good fit?

Any information I can get regarding the subject would be very helpful. Thanks!!!

Chris

The varation comes more in color an thinckness of material fit is usually fairly uniform from diff suppliers. Beachwood is good higher priced but not the only good supplier, most do good, some are just smaller operations an take longer to deliver.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I bought my top from VPW and it fits just fine. It does have the small back window though, which some folks don't like. It was $385 shipped and I had it in 6 days.

If a top varied a few inches, it wouldn't fit well at all. But I think most of them are within reasonable tolerances. A larger rear window is nice, but nicer still is a blackout curtain to cover it at night and, nicest of all, a zippered back (though not stock) for hot days.
    -- Tim Taylor

I've had excelent luck with the top and canvas pieces I bought from WeeBee Webbing. Top notch fit and finish. The top fits so good that you could bounce a quarter of it. There are no sags or droops that could collect water.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    1968 M51 Inflatable Chemical Shelter System http://www.davidallenracing.com/M51.htm
    1953 Dodge M37 weapons carrier http://www.davidallenracing.com/M37.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

I bought my canvas top 2 months ago from Surplus City Jeep Parts. They are made in house. My top fit like a glove......all snaps were placed correctly....the quality is A1......very impressed! Delivered to my door was $283.00......Depending on how original you are making your truck.......I kinda wished I had bought one of the newer vinyl canvas tops from Beechwood....only because I love to drive mine in all kinds of weather.....and I assume like all canvas it eventually is going to leak....(I realize ..nothing that a canvas treatment won't fix).....good luck

As I didn't need a 'stock top', I had a boat shop make mine. Larger rear window/w cover, and about $250.00 less. .02

Quote Originally Posted by airborne View Post
    As I didn't need a 'stock top', I had a boat shop make mine. Larger rear window/w cover, and about $250.00 less. .02
    Is that $250 less than the $385, or specifically $135 for the boat shop work? If so, that's an inexpensive top. I always thought that might be my route when I need new canvas (i.e. a boat shop). My father did the same with a '52 MGTD and it was done to perfection.

So which company, of all the ones mentioned in recent threads, makes one that is heavy canvas like the original and the same color as original? Most of the pictures I have seen here look tan, not OD, and look like lighter weight material. My body shop guy ripped the original last week when he did not raise the shop door high enough. Bent the rear bow also, which he repaired, but wants to buy me a new top.

$250.00 is less than what a new top would've run, not counting tax, & shipping. There isn't much to these tops, and boat shops have alot of options.