Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hagerty Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    I have Hagerty on my Military truck and also my Z/28 600hp Camaro. They have been great and I highly recommend this company. Have had them for years.
    Ditto, they have been great, no hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    The biggest problem with classic car insurance is that in theory you are only using the vehicle to go to shows and very little more.

I have regular insurance in one of my M715s and I pay about $10/mo. At least I'm not afraid of getting in trouble if I use my truck like a truck, or decide to drive cross-country.
    THIS^^^

Most of our vehicles are underinsured as a result. Hagerty (and most classic or custom vehicle) insurance policies limit use. In many cases you can only use the vehicle on a weekend and to/from a parade or show. You can't leave the vehicle while at either.

A good friend of mine had a 32 coupe stolen at a show while he was using the restroom and getting some food. He was NOT covered as his Hagerty policy stated the vehicle could not be left unattended.

For us, we use our vehicles a fair amount. When our M715 is done, it will likely see some adventure type trips where we put in a mix of road and trail. (similar to Ultimate Adventure, or Jeep Trex). After all, this is what we have them for. We aren't looking for damage coverage when we are on the trail. We accept our fate, but theft on these trips is a real concern. We haven't found a policy that covers this use.

We have "full and Normal" coverage on our JKU, but it is WAY under insured heaven forbid we need to replace it. or start from scratch. The best we have found is adding a "custom" writer to our existing policy, but doing this nearly triples the cost of coverage and even when we add the maximum allowed we would fall short on a total replacement.

Hagerty and other classic car insurance policies are cheap, because the fine print gets them out of almost all claims. (At least from what we have seen.)

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    I use JC Taylor and the rules and price are about the same as Hagarty. Must be in a locked Garage, send them pictures, and you can state the value. My regular insurance company would only insure for scrap price which was $200 at the time.
    New guy here. I use JC Taylor for my M38a1 - been with them for 6yrs now. The agreed value on it is $15,000 - costs $120/yr.

If I can make a deal on an M715 I'm looking at, I will be in the market for a new insurance company as well because, as stated above, JC Taylor requires the vehicle to be in a locked storage place - my garage won't fit 2 M38a1s AND an M715!
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by wilfreeman View Post
    New guy here. I use JC Taylor for my M38a1 - been with them for 6yrs now. The agreed value on it is $15,000 - costs $120/yr.
    I went to insure my truck with JC Taylor many years ago. The lady asked me "will you be driving the truck to work"? And I said "well, maybe on nice days". (who doesn't?)

I was denied coverage. Be very careful with what you do, because something may happen and they may not cover you.

Welcome, by the way.

All very good information. Thank you. I will get into it deeper. I spoke to Hagerty on the phone a fed days ago and it all sounded good but of course the issue of not leaving the vehicle unattended did not come up. I did not see all these responses to my post until just now. I will check with my St Farm agent again as well and see what he says. St. Farm would cost me more but may be more complete coverage. Thank you all for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    I went to insure my truck with JC Taylor many years ago. The lady asked me "will you be driving the truck to work"? And I said "well, maybe on nice days". (who doesn't?)

I was denied coverage. Be very careful with what you do, because something may happen and they may not cover you.

Welcome, by the way.
    Hmm...that doesn't bode well for those of us who see our M715's as a truck, not a parade float.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    Hmm...that doesn't bode well for those of us who see our M715's as a truck, not a parade float.
    Yup, why I skipped insuring mine as a classic or collector item.
    I've got plain old liability insurance on mine through Germania (Texas only company I believe). He offered to work me up a quote to insure it as a classic if I wanted to take it to be appraised. And it's use would be limited. So no hauling gravel or trash or trailering my idiot step son's broken down vehicles home... which is pretty much all my truck does. Work.