Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheel questions?

Default wheel questions?

I am on the look out for some affordable large mudders for my truck,I am finding every thing but 16 in tires that will fit my stock rims so I am thinking about modifying or customizing some wheels for my truck my questions are,will 15in wheels fit over my brake drums?can I take some 6 lug chevy wheels and redrill my bolt patern in them?my other idea is to cut the centers out of my stock wheels and weld them into some 16.5 rims?thanks Matt G

There should be plenty of thread posts referencing all your questions. Use the search for more details.

To summarize, some have cut the centers and welded them into wider or bigger cans - this requires tight tolerances and expertise for road use. I believe that a 15" wheel will require a great amount of back spacing to clear. There are aftermarket wheel companies that will custom make rims for the M715. Search the web for Stockton, MRT, etc. Some prices start as low as $100 or as high as $300 per wheel.

You can't find 16" mud tires?!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I just bought and installed yesterday, 4 Super Swamper TSL's. THey are 38.5X16's and they fit fine and look excellent. I'll post up some pics later.

There are plenty of 16" tires that will fit the 715 wheels. You just can't go very wide because the stock rim is only 8" and the backspacing won't allow too much width without rubbing at full lock.

The stock rims are split rims that measure 16 inches tall, 6.5 inches wide and have 5.5 inches of backspacing.

As soon as Tsl makes the ltb tire in 38" I will be going that route. I have not been keeping a close eye on them, maybe you should check it out.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Looks like they should have 40s around april. No 38s on the board yet.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The stock rims are split rims that measure 16 inches tall, 6.5 inches wide and have 5.5 inches of backspacing.
    The stock rims are only 6.5 wide? I laid a tape on mine a few weeks ago when the tires were off and could have sworn 8 inches or close to it. 'Course it was late and I was tired from breaking the beads......

I was in a hurry last night when I made that post let me clear up a few things what I meant by afordable tires I meant cheep used tires this is a very low budget project I am a machinist by trade and have access to a lot of equipment that is great help on the budget end of the project,I found a set of 39.5 swamper traxus but the tires where completly bald in the center from being run on too narrow of a wheel I passed on those and bought a set of 35in baja claws with some tread left 100$ they are 16 in this weekend I am going to cut and band my stock wheels probly about 10 in wide unless I can redrill a set of 16in 6 lug chevy wheels.to make a long story short I am just pinching pennys where ever i can thanks

Are these 35" tires going on the truck with 10" of lift? Might look a little goofy.