Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak.

Default Oil Leak.

I have a slight oil drip from the fording plug hole in the flywheel cover. I have replaced the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket. Looking up into the flywheel area with the cover off, it looks like the leak is coming from the front of the transmission. I don't see a front transmission seal in the parts breakdown. Anyone had this problem and fiqured out how to fix it?

Usually, the rear main is the culprit...even though you changed it.

There is no seal in the front of the trans but it is not known as a significant leak source.

Brute,
    I thought it might still be the rear main seal but the oil accumulation is on the clutch side of the flywheel instead of the engine side.

Interesting...the trans isntknown as leaker from the front but there are always exceptions...

Any way something may have gotten up in there and bent or poked a hole in the trans input shaft cover?

As far as the transmission goes, check that the breather line is clear. A blockage could cause the trans to leak from the front when the oil expands from heating. Also check the trans oil level. Could it be overfilled?

Gear oil has that certain smell. Does the leaky oil smell like that? Like Brute4c said, the leak is most likey from the real main.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'm not familiar with the T98 exactly, but almost all manuals have a front seal. Its usually in the release bearing/input shaft holder and installs from the inside after you remove the four bolts that hold it on.

Looking at the parts breakdown they don't show one, but I'd still have a look if I were in there.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Default Oil Leak.

I checked for a vent line to the transmission and the only vent line is to the clutch housing, it tee's there and goes back to the rear differential. I checked the oil level in the transmission and it was a little overfull. Drained enough out so that I could just touch the oil from the upper fill hole. Let's see if that stops the leak. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll keep you updated.

The T98 in the M715 does not have any type of seal under the 4 bolt cover. People have thought they needed something, at least a gasket, in the past but there isnt anything stock and I dont remember any leaks from there except as Hiker stated...vent problems oroverfilling.

Looks like the rear main seal is leaking all though I had it replaced, the shop that replaced it used the two piece seal. Any suggestion on where to find the original type rear mail oil seal or if you have used the two piece seal with success.

Make sure there is no water in there. If you lowered the oil level from the bottom plug water would come out first and you would see it. From the top you would not. I am always suspicious when I find high oil levels. Maybe someone was trying to make it shift better by adding extra oil. Just a thought on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltfed Only View Post
    I checked for a vent line to the transmission and the only vent line is to the clutch housing, it tee's there and goes back to the rear differential. I checked the oil level in the transmission and it was a little overfull. Drained enough out so that I could just touch the oil from the upper fill hole. Let's see if that stops the leak. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll keep you updated.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21