Thread: M715 & J20????

I am planning on Building a M715 with a Cummins 6BT 5.9l I have.

I will be buying the 715 shortly and I was wondering about parts issues. A friend has a J20 that is not running he said I could have for parts...but I am not sure if they are interchangable.

So I guess my question is....How similar are the 715's and J20's???

Thanks
    James

There is a wheelbase difference of about 5". The J20 is most likely 131" and the M715 is 126". I know people have swapped fenders and cabs between the 2 so that should be no problem. I know one guy who swapped a M715 box onto a 131" wheelbase frame and he ended up building an extra tank to sit in the 5" gap between the cab and box.

The steering column is different between the 2 but the other mechanicals seem to be easy to adapt. If the J20 is pre 1980 it will be passenger side drop like the M715. The J20 will have an 8 lug D44HD front and a full float D60 rear.

If you are on the east coast, that J20 may be worth something. They are almost as rare here as the M715's are. I've been looking for an 80 J20 for 18 months now.

Here is the best of both. A J20 that was used by the military and it's forsale.

http://web.govliquidation.com/auctio...ctionId=321762

If I had the time and money I would get it...sigh...but I have neither.
    Zone holster maker

James,
    Welcome to the Zone. Also, look at the list of topics to your left. Most of your questions are answered in that list. Good luck with your project.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks for the Help.

Going to use the Dana 60 and Dana 70 out of the Dodge I am gettings the Cummins out of...not sure what tranny or transfer case I'm going to use yet but should be fun.

Thanks

James

sounds like a good plan... I"d use the J20 cab and keep the rest 715.
    **I heart Bump_r **

I don't think you;ll fit a 6BT. A guy here STUFFED a 4BT and that was about all that would fit. Look him up BEFORE tou buy the 6BT.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

The 6BT is in my 93 Dodge so I already own it....As far as it fitting I was told it might require a 3 inch body lift to fit.

There are some pics in the members gallery of a 6bt in an m715 I think it is under colorado jeeper.

BUMP that is incorrect. UtahJeepr is running a 6bt. Granted, it will take more squeezing, but be creative.

For comparisons sake, keep in mind that the base truck an M715 is made of is about the same size as first generation Durangos. Sad but true.
    **I heart Bump_r **