Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame swap ???

Anyone done a frame swap (put your body on a different frame ie chevy or ford) ???

I have a m1008 frame & am wondering if it would be easier to do a body swap than to modify everything to fit the m715.

Let me know what yall think or have done.

My Blue M715 body is sitting on an 84 Chev Suburban Chassis. Should be very similar to your M1008. It was suprisingly easy. I originally bought the Suburban with the idea of swapping out the axles and motor, but the idea of having more modern suspension, power sterring, power brakes etc made it well worth the effort. I will pass on details and pictures to you as I get time.

Rollie

My M715 is on a 1978 ford f150 4X4 frame. I didn't do it (the PO did) so I don't know what all was involved. Looks like it wasn't too bad to do and the Jeep cab and bed fit the frame surprisingly well.

Stan

Truck frames a truck frame right??? Ok maybe not all the same, but all are simular. I would think you would have to just do some head scratching and making sure you get your mounting points lined up...A little welding here a little cutten there.....
    Zone holster maker

Default HELP! 305 TBI intermitant no spark

I guess my real question is if you had it to do over, would you modify everything to fit an m715 frame or just use a built up chevy frame & put your m715 body on it ?

i believe about 99% of the guys here could do it with some fabing mounts and a little enginuity
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

When I put it on the Chevy, I kept part of the Chevy firewall with all the goodies mounted on it including the pedal mounts, steering column, master cylinder, wiring harness, fuse panel etc. The M715 firwall fit right behind it and with very few cuts on the body it fit right on. It still have most of the Chevy wiring intact except where it will now connect to new guages in the dash. I reused all the rear tailight wiring, and the rear trailer hitch wiring is still connected to the trailer receptacle. The front turn signals and headlight reused the Chevy wiring harness and threaded it through the M715 grill without disconnecting it from the harness. I plan to put a J-truck civilian heater in it some day. The diesel turbo fits just fine inside the M715 fender well. The Chevy steering box is on the outside of the frame and just clears inside the fender well. Some of the power steering hoses need bent back closer to the engine to clear the fender well. I kept part of the Chevy floor pan and set the intact M715 cab right on top of it. The cab mounting bolts go down through the orighinal M715 holes through the Chevy floor and into the Chevy cab cross members. I eventuall plan to weld the two floor pans together, and knock down the transmission hump a little for more foot room. The 40 gallon fuel tank is still in it original location but will need a little custom filler pipe to rout it up through the pickup sidewall.

If I had it all to do over again, I would definitely do it the same way again. I now have what looks like an M715, but cruises down the highway at 70+, rides smooth, has power steering, power brakes, an automatic transmission, and will still haul a ton of material or pull a heavy trailer. It's definitely the way to go if you are inclined to deviate this far from a stock M715.

Rollie

Quote Originally Posted by j20m715
    I guess my real question is if you had it to do over, would you modify everything to fit an m715 frame or just use a built up chevy frame & put your m715 body on it ?
    The PO on mine certainly had the tools and ability to approach it either way. Since he had a running ford driveline available I have a feeling it was a lot easier, quicker and cheaper for him to do the frame swap.

I have the same comments as Rollie. You have a fairly modern drivetrain to work with and parts and service are less of a problem. The PO on mine also reused the existing wiring harness but I wish he hadn't. Didn't work all that well. I've spent a lot of time fixing and bypassing that old harness on mine. Took awhile but I finally have the electrical under control.

A frame swap works well for a daily driver.

Stan

Thanks for all of your help.
    I think im gonna go with the m1008 frame & m715 body.
    I have an extra cab & bed. I will set them up & take a look.

If anyone eles has anything to add or comment on please do so.

All I ask is that you take lots of picture and lots of notes and then post them here at the Zone...
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Zone holster maker