Thread: Small Bucket Lights

Default Small Bucket Lights

I have become a collector of small bucket lights. During my quest to find more, I have come across four different versions.

This is the style that should be in your M715. 3 light sockets with 3 wires coming out the back. Notice how each socket has a brass wire end inside it.

This is the exact same outter bucket with the same 3 sockets, but it only has wire ends for 2 of them and only 1 wire coming out the back. You can see the clear lense that came on this light. I use this style for backup lights.

Here is another version. The bottom socket is the same as the first two versions, but the top socket is just a copy of the bottom. This bucket had b/o "Cat Eye" slots top and bottom and 2 wires coming out the back. This particular light bucket had a LED bar stuck in the bottom socket like the big composite M35A2 light buckets have on the b/o and b/o brake circuits. It can be converted to the other styles with the proper sockets and hopefully non corroded screws that hold them together inside.

Then there is the 4th style I have found. This one came off my 1952 M35 Gasser. I have to believe that this is the original version of the small buckets. Solid mounting for all 3 lights and a ground wire on each little bitty screw. This one had Packard connectors, but I think the 2 still on my M35(P) which I haven't pulled apart yet have the Douglas connectors. Again, since the screw holes are in the same place, this bucket can be updated to be just like the others.

I know the MV show season is coming up and many of you will be scrouging around for parts. I figured some information on what all is out there might help you.
    Last edited by Barrman; February 18th, 2007 at 10:02 PM.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Tim,
    The third light you show the one with just one bulb socket top and one bottom would have been on M38s M38A1s, M37s, Early M35s, M211 etc. 1950's erra MVs. The style was a carry over from WWII MV where on the back of the truck you would have had on the drivers side the cat's eye red brake tail light top and the black out marker bottom. Then on the right side you would have had the black out stop and the black out marker. Yep MVs from WWII through the early 60's only had one breaklight/tail light on the rear. Even first serries M151's had them. Then in the 60's MVs started getting the dual break/tail light and a seperate black out stop light ala M715's M151A1s etc. Then in the late 60 adn into the 70's and even through today we have the "new style" lights.
    I believe the second light you have is an early attempt at a turn signal and the last light I believe you are correct in that it is an early style of the stop/tail/blackout marker lamp.
    Zone holster maker

Could the second one be a Gamagoat tailight that the lens has bleached out from red to clear? I thought the goat had one light for stop/tail and then seperate black-outs like on armor.

Dave