Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Stock carb kit info

UPDATE: That R3615 kit is NOT working out: the needle valve is much too long, the base gasket doesn't fit the mounting studs, no inlet fitting/valve o-ring provided, the idle screw won't bottom (the end taper is too gradual), and the sealing washer for the inlet fitting/valve is too small. This is all despite emphatic email assurances it would fit this carburetor.

I'll follow up as to Daytona's efforts to make this right, but as of now they're not scoring real highly.

What has worked for me two times, (two different carburetors) is the NOS military kit. They are often dated in the mid 70s. I have not had problems so far and the gas here in Florida that I use has ethanol. We can get 89 octane ethanol free gas (target audience is boats) but it is $1.00 more a gallon.

I know that making the above statement will cause me to be penalized by a leaky, flooding carburetor starting right now! But seriously, the military one had all that was needed and it just worked.

I bought the Daytona kit because it's of recent manufacture; I can't get real enthusiastic about the '70's rubber parts in NOS kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    I bought the Daytona kit because it's of recent manufacture; I can't get real enthusiastic about the '70's rubber parts in NOS kits.
    I don't disagree with you, new would be better.

I received a replacement R3615 kit from Daytona, and things are looking up: the needle valve looks correct, the proper o-rings & seals are there, and there are many more parts in this kit than the previous one.

We'll see how everything fits when I get time to work on the carb.

Kit R3615 fits perfectly.

The one Daytona sent me initially was mislabelled, but they sent the proper one no charge. They made good & I recommend them.

All the parts were the proper ones, and my carb is ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    Kit R3615 fits perfectly.

The one Daytona sent me initially was mislabelled, but they sent the proper one no charge. They made good & I recommend them.

All the parts were the proper ones, and my carb is ready to go.
    Good to know, and thanks for the update and tip!

Nothing like reviving an old thread. I am in the throes of rebuilding a 1920. I need a fresh float for it. Preferably brass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpilot View Post
    Nothing like reviving an old thread. I am in the throes of rebuilding a 1920. I need a fresh float for it. Preferably brass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    From all I've read in my research, 1920 floats are NLA.

Apparently Daytona is the last outfit in the country with floats and they are Nitrophyl. They are also discontinued and when the current limited stock is gone…well, let’s just say that anyone with a brass float now has a golden one.