Thread: M880s.....whats the scoop?

Are these things worth grabbing if A guy can do so cheap? There a some here local that are the 5/4 ton varity. Are these dana 60 fronts? what are the rears? What gears? will they fit under our trucks? T-case?

Thanks
    Doug
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

They have a hubless Dana 44 in the front and a Dana 60 in the rear. They have 4:10 gears and both rears are open. In my narrow minded world they are junk. M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

Default TROUBLE LOGGING ON

So is an entire truck worth $25 ???
    I'll probably pass on them for that even, like I need to drag more crap home anyway.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Yea they are worth $25. The scrap yard is paying about $100 right now! I have had a couple of them over the years. They make a good farm truck. There is just nothing on them that could be used to modify / upgrade other trucks. M1028

Our local yrd won't pay squat. $50 if you're lucky, most the time they try to get you to settle for $25

I like the M880s. The motor was under powered, but the drive train was good. I thouhgt they did better off road than M1008 do. They are also full time 4 wheel drive which is a bit weired. It is a shame the army didn't think those through when they purchased them. To many add ons had to be done after the fact.
    Zone holster maker

Default Wagoneer body?

Joe would you like to buy soem? for like $2500? JK

Joe , you are kidding I hope. There is no way a M880 can even come close to a M1008 . Open rear V. Detroit. - 4:56 gears V. 4:10 . - Power steering V. manual. - 2.6:1 low range V. 2:1. - Dana 60 and a 14 bolt V. Dana 44 + 60 rear. What is your opinion based on ??? M1028

I was stationed in Alaska when we turned in our M715's and were issued the Gamma Goats and M880 series trucks. I second the M880's as being gutless. As I recall when going off road, like in wet grass, you had to engage the four wheel drive to keep the rear wheels from spinning. Driving the M880 really made us appreciate the Gamma Goat, even with all of it's quirks.
    First saw the M1008 variant working with the Canadian Army in 1979. They had the large V-8, four barrel carb and were just heaven to drive, on or off road. When the Army went to M1008 it was truely a blessing.
    All that said, I live in Virgina and occasionaly see the M880's with Farm Use Only plates on them. Howard

Well all I can say is I've driven both trucks off road. And the dodge got stuck less than the chevy did. Maybe it helped that the guys who's dodge I was driving had a 400 something engine in it. In the early 90's when they were getting rid of the M880s they were pulling the engines out of them before selling them off. So he put another dodge engine in it and that truck was good....So maybe my view is slightly tainted.
    Zone holster maker