Thread: sermis : Motor swap

Default sermis : Motor swap

Motor swap
    Post by sermis on Jun 19, 2006, 2:54pm

Has or will the 353? detroit Gama Goat motor swap into the M715?

Default elwenil :

Re: Motor swap
    Post by elwenil on Jun 19, 2006, 3:53pm

I'm sure it would fit physically since it's only a 3 cylinder, but why you would you want the noisy little thing? The stock 230 probably puts out more power, lol.

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Jun 19, 2006, 3:56pm

Gas milage. 230 not much HP.............

Default socal715 :

Post by socal715 on Jun 19, 2006, 4:02pm

Yeah baby!!

Powered by a Detroit Diesel #3-53 three cylinder, two stroke engine that produced 103 hp (77 kW) at 2,800 rpm with a 159.3 in? (2,610 cc) displacement. It could travel at 55 mph (90 km/h) on paved surfaces and traverse almost any terrain.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jun 19, 2006, 9:29pm

Hearing protection required....There was an articale in Army Motors about 10 years ago of a guy who put one in a M37 Dogde (for jon). So it if would fit in there I would think it would would fit in a M715, but man they clack like a diesel on staroids! I would think it would just about rattle your teeth out of your head!

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 19, 2006, 10:25pm

DONT DO IT you wont like it promiss you.
    bob

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jun 20, 2006, 9:00pm

Rob, can you give some details as to why that motor isn't a good idea? I'm just wondering why you said that.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 20, 2006, 9:06pm

There is a reason lots of Goat owners put 350's in there.

The stock motor is LOOOOOUUUUDDDDDD and somewhat gutless. That is my opinion from watching, not driving, one not too far from here. Struggled mightily with the terrain. Plus, 2strokes SUCK. It's just the way it is LOL Isn't the Goat air-cooled, too? I am probably way off on that one!

The 4bt is a much better alternative if you're looking for mileage, with the added benefit of a higher power rating. And you can hop them up some, too.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 20, 2006, 9:56pm

WELL IF YOU SCREAM at the person riding next to you in the truck with the detroit engine thay STILL wont be able to hear you. if you dont wear ear plugs AND ear muffs you,ll have hearing damage after the first day of operation, i,am not kidding !!!!! also dont forget these engines will run backwards also !!!!!! you wont be happy.also like all other detroit 2 cycle engines they leak oil.
    bob
    bob

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jun 20, 2006, 11:59pm

I spoke to the owner of one 7 or so years ago. It was for sale and I was considering buying it...honest guy and he told me it was not only loud as all get out, it was way underpowered. claimed 45 MPH was about max speed.

I'm sure state of tune affects that, but all in all, if a guy is trying to sell you one, and he says it sucks...you gotta believe him.