Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Giving up on the tornado

The 6.2 is an indirect injection engine. Anything below 150° is considered cold and glow plugs are needed to help starting.

The 6.2 with working glowplugs fires up so fast hot or cold it is amazing. With a good working glow plug system the starter will be used so little that it should last a very, very long time. Same with the batteries. Do as you wish. It is your truck. However, I would hook up an automatic system. Once set up it makes one less thing to worry about.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Well as life does things got in the way. Finally back to working on the 6.2. Replaced the oil pan and gasket. Replaced the valve cover gaskets, put new glow plugs in and put a cucv intake on it. Now I just need to convert to the new glow plug controller. Using the newer 4 wire controller/solenoid unit. Seems I don't need to hook up the cold advance because that was on the old controller. So all I have to hook up is the orange wires for the two glow plug banks on the soleoid connections. Then hook up power from the fuel pump relay, power from bank one of the glow plugs, and ground to the controller wires. Is that correct?

The cold advance is a totally separate but needed system.

Look at the outside rear of the passenger cylinder head. There will be a sensor with two blades on it. If you still have the Chevy wiring on the engine, there will be a green wire running from that sensor to the injection pump for the cold start advance and then to the fast idle solenoid next to the throttle cable.

The sensor on the outside rear of the head just gets 12 volts positive anytime the ignition is on. If it senses the coolant as below about 94° F, then it turns on the cold start advance and energizes the fast idle solenoid. You have to push the throttle down about 1/3 of the way after you turn the ignition on but before you hit the starter to make the fast idle solenoid engage though.

I knocked the green wire off my sensor on the M715 a few months ago and figured since I have a hand throttle, why bother doing the contortion act to hook that wire back up. Even with some fast idle applied with the hand throttle. I have not had a smooth or fast cold start since. The entire truck rocks and shakes a few seconds if it is below 60° outside. I will hook the green wire back up the next time I remember when I am not trying to start the truck and go somewhere in a hurry.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Ok, that makes sense. I did keep the wiring harness and I see the sensor your talking about. This is the diagram I have been referencing for the new controller.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OI...xWKlvXYP0L6aOp

I am assuming the fuel solenoid pin out just needs to be hooked to 12v when the ignition is on. So I guess the cold solenoid pinout would just not be used so the glow plugs just come on every time I turned the ignition on.

Besides the glow plug wiring and 12v to cold solenoid sensor you talked about what other wiring do I need to hook up.

OK. That is a diagram for the newer version that had a cold start relay. Let me look around for how I have wired my 3. I think it is different for some reason.