Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White smoke and a lack of power???

Default White smoke and a lack of power???

We have been doing some work on the M725 and driving it here and there when possible. It seems like it doesn't have any power 9not that they have a lot to start with). For example going up hills and such it really bogs down. It smokes every now and then so I'm guessing that a seal/gasket is going bad somewhere or something along those lines? I'm at the point where I want to take care of it and would like to keep the vehicle stock. Am I better rebuilding the engine (ok not me but having a shop rebuild it) or finding another one to put in?

Thanks!
    Doc

Just off hand with out looking at anything i would say maybe a head gasket so check your radiator

Not a lot of information there. . .did this rig sit for a long period of time? I would wonder about sticking rings, etc., as well as head gasket. Have you run a compression test? That will tell you a lot. Also, look for water or foam in the oil, and oil foam in the radiator, tell-tale signs of head gasket failure. Also, does it over-heat, or is it just low on power? You could try the "ATF treatment", get the engine good and warm, then slowly drizzle a cup of ATF right down the carburetor, SLOWLY, or you will foul the plugs!! (NOTE, it will smoke like hell!) Follow that by a cup of water, same process. Take it for a drive and see if it improves. Essentially, what you are doing is using the ATF as a solvent to free up sticking rings and carbon deposits, then the water as a steam cleaning. As long as you don't pour too fast, this can't do any damage, and is recommended by several very experienced mechanics and engine builders I know. And best of all, .it works!! Good Luck

Suggest you check for brillo pads stuffed against upper rocker arm plate, and a rocker arm scewed sideways. SSGT DAD.

Default ARGGGGGGGGGGg

I started making more plans to get the compression checked and go from there. We weren't going to do the compression check till Monday. However on Friday my dad came over and we started going over some stuff on the truck. It was leaking oil from the upper gasket so he said to check if the nuts were tight and in reaching for the first I found that it was not attached. The entire stud had broken off where the pin goes through. Bummer. So I decided that while someone was with me that had a clue what was going on Id look a little further into it. This is what we found....

This is after I had take then brillo pads out and just put them back with it for the picture. The brillo had spread around a bit but I think it was originally placed around that rocker. As you can see the rocker was turned so that it ran parallel to the block unlike all the other. If you look you can see the rocker guard (the metal plate above the rockers) is chewed up. I think that the front stud had come off at some point prior to me having it this time. When this happened that front rocker began to hit the rocker guard that would have been loose when the stud broke. In hearing this someone turned the rocker and placed the brillo in to make it a little more quiet.

Does anyone know where to get those studs or the rocker guard?

Thanks
    Doc

I probably have the rocker guard...in fact I know I have one...

The studs are pressed in...they are easy to mess up when removing them...be nice if those can be had from mil surplus...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    I probably have the rocker guard...in fact I know I have one...

The studs are pressed in...they are easy to mess up when removing them...be nice if those can be had from mil surplus...
    Any chance you are willing to sell the rocker guard?

Im looking for the studs but cant seem to find them I may end up having to get one made.

PM me and we will work something out on the guard...I will see if I can get a stud out for ya...

Do you know if the splines in the stud hole are good or if they are all wrecked from the stud spinning in there? Might need a whole cam deck...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    PM me and we will work something out on the guard...I will see if I can get a stud out for ya...

Do you know if the splines in the stud hole are good or if they are all wrecked from the stud spinning in there? Might need a whole cam deck...
    I ordered the parts today. I found a place that seems to have the right studs but will have to check if they work. They don't have the V in the bottom nor the hole for the pin?

The first stud that is broken off has the pin exposed on the top. I think I am just going to locktite it and check it often.

The rockers all seemed loose does anyone have the torque spec for them? The directions that I did find said to run the engine and check them the same time im not sure that that is possible?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!

Not sure what V in the bottom or what hole for what pin....

These studs are flat on the bottom with the first roughly quarter to half inch being splines...rough guess....20-30 of them...no holes in the stud.

The rocker arms can be adjusted with the engine running or not running.
    Not running is my favorite way.
    Procedure is pretty easy...
    Get the #1 cylinders cam lobe to point straight down at the ground.
    With a feeler gauge, set the clearance between the rocker arm and the valve tip to .008 inch for both the intake and exhaust valves on #1.
    Turn the motor until the next cylinder in the firing order has its cam lobe pointing straight down toward the ground and set that one.
    Repeat until all 6 are done.

Firing order is: 1-5-3-6-2-4

So do #1, then #5, then #3...etc...

It is printed on the valve cover as well...