Thread: Another New Guy with dumb questions

Default Another New Guy with dumb questions

About to buy my first M-715 (1966 on eBay), and I want to use it as a daily driver. Don't care about mudding or 4-wheeling. Just drive it to work and maybe to a few shows.
    I checked the spec and figure about 8 mpg is the best this rig is going to get unless I make a few mods. I have already located someone to redue the rear-end gearing, that should help a bit. I'm just not sure about the tires and wheels. I want to keep them for the "shows", but need something for daily driving.
    Any ideas and is this rig a good choice for a driving everyday? Thanks for any input.

Most people wouldn't consider them daily drivers, but then again, most people are weird!

Depending on climate, you'll want to install a heater, if it doesn't have one already. Upgrading the brake master cylinder, and replacing all the wheel cylinders if not done already, would also be a priority. Then replace the stock seats with something you might actually want to sit in... and, of course, weatherstripping, a leak-free top, etc would be good too - I don't know what the one you're buying comes with.

You could replace the axle gears, but a modern engine+overdrive transmission+transfer case combo would be a better idea, imho. A 0.7:1 overdrive is the same as putting in 4.10 gears. The stock t-case doesn't like freeway driving, either.

The military NDTs seem pretty good for gas milage, but the traction is awful. A modern all-terrain tire might be a better choice, although it won't look stock. There are very few options for wheels, so don't plan on replacing them unless you're swapping axles.

8mpg is a bit low, you should get 10-12mpg easily.

--Randy

Default Thanks for the comeback

Randy

Thanks for the input. The unit is in really good shape (needs a top & parking brake). I wanted to show the rig. So, I would keep the mil gear for the shows. One of our engineers just ran through the specs (he builds race cars) and said that he was going to buy stock in what ever gas station I filled up at. I drive 50 miles round trip everyday. The rig would have to get 15mpg. The mods to to that would take away the character of the rig and would remove it's show value. Short answer: I won't be buying the rig (I need a second rig and wanted something fun - such as life)

Again. Thank you for the input. Maybe next time?

Glen

Stock mileage of around 9-10 is normal. With Selectro free wheeling hubs up front, a bit more can be gained.

Daily driver....with a dual brake upgrade and better tires and GOOD brake maintenance, as long as you dont mind the spartan nature and rougher ride, yes.

Remember many of the replacement parts are hard to find or wait for it to be rebuilt or not available and you have to figure something out...in other words, if/when youhave a breakdown, getting a fix isnt a couple hours to a day thing...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default True

Sir,

In deed true. Parts can be a pain. Ran a 151-A2 couple of years. Also, a mil rig is not normally a real good choice for a daily. But one needs to have some fun sometimes. As far as spartan and rough ride. No problem. Drove around sand-land in a duce and hummer. It just helps me unwind

Again, Thank you for your input

Glen

Jester Guest

If you are not opposed to a motor swap, putting in a 6.2 diesel would net you some MPG.

I drove mine as a daily driver for 2 years. It is much more practical than my M35's that way. Not as fun sometimes, but a lot easier to park and drive through the local fast food place.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I am not against the ride or amenities for daily use...just so you know...I love it that way.

Just an FYI....the first trucks were 1967's except the very few prototypes...though trucks have been advertised as 1964, 1965 and 1966 model years, no one had ever had proof of one of these being actually built then...title mistakes are common and that is most likely the case with this one.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!