Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brakes

I took my brake shoes off and took them to a clutch & brake shop The guy ground the shoes clean and molded new linings to them.
    $60.00 a axle and it stops better.
    Check your area to see if ya'll have a shop like this.
    Redneck1
    Tree, WHAT Tree officer?

Well I took the rear drivers side apart last night. I took the seal off the cylinder and it was full of rust ect. The pads were worn but not too wet. I ended up just replacing the cylinder for the time being. I figured if I had to replace the pads in 1-3 years I would just take it aprat again. Once I got all the right tools out it took me about 1.5 hours. I figure the other wont take that long now that I know what I am doing. The drum had some pretty good grooves in it. Maybe in a few years I will get the drums turned and replace the pads.

I ended up have to run out and buy a poor mans impact to get the 3 screw out of the drum. An impact that you wack with a hammer. Worked well. I could have beat on it all night with a screw driver and a hammer.

I will keep you posted. WIll try to get some pics too.

Thanks your help.

Chris
    1968 M715
    1952 M38

So I screwed up. I took apart and replaced 3 or the 4 cylinders. Got to the 4th and I was hot sweaty and grumpy. I pulled it off without marking the drum and axle to make sure I got it put back on correctly.

So i guessed. I drove the jeep around town and everything seemed fine. Drove it later that night and now the drum that I guessed on is catching when it goes around. The pads are touching the drum for about a 1/4 turn when I am not pressing on the brakes.

My thought. Either I turned the starwheel to much.
    or
    I put the drum on wrong and need to turn it a 1/3rd.

What are your guys thoughts?
    1968 M715
    1952 M38

If it is rubbing on only 1/4 of the turn I'd pull the drum & try the next set of holes.
    Worst case you'll have to do it 2x, then you'll know it is right

Where are yall getting new brake shoes? Guys at Red River Army Depot claim nobody makes these anymore and I am SOL? Memphis Equipment still have them or is it easy and cheap to get them redone at a brake shop?

Its been couple years, so I am not 100% sure, but I think I used M37 wheel cylinders. If that is correct, that would mean you can find the cylinders easier. There is a bigger aftermarket for m37 parts.
    Feast or famine,

You can get shoes relined locally without much fuss...there are places to buy them too...Memphis Equipment and VPW come to mind...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default Others

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    You can get shoes relined locally without much fuss...there are places to buy them too...Memphis Equipment and VPW come to mind...
    Shoes from AB Linn. Relining kits from FLMV
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era