Thread: On board air

Default On board air

I'm completely uninformed about these.
    Is this the kind that you can easily convert? I know it isn't the twin cylinder model I've seen Tim talk about, but...

If its a York...looks like it...we have a manual here:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...ork_manual.pdf
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

It's actually an Eaton - all I know. On craigs list for $30.

I wonder about the goofy fittings. Other than that, for 30 bucks, get it.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

I can't speak for that compressor but here's some info that might help:

http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/faq.htm
    http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/york.htm

especially: http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/york-manual/pdf/6.pdf

That is basically a York compressor. They work pretty good. It is worth the money and effort to buy all new in my opinion.

I collected 6 York compressors, mounted what I thought was the biggest and best to the M715. Put a set of M35 air tanks under the bed and a psi gauge. Worked great at the 2006 FE until I was airing my XZL tires back up from 15 psi to 80 psi. I had some trailer troubles getting there requiring the M715 to drive itself about 40 miles down I-40. I wanted to be ready in case that was needed again on the way home. Airing up the 4th tire and the semi truck plastic air brake line I had used to plumb the system melted right behind the compressor. DP let me use his OBA to finish up.

I put 1 foot of copper line behind the compressor and found I couldn't get any psi. That compressor was burned up.

Pulled another compressor apart, did the oil tube block and all was well. Went to recover my two Gassers and used the OBA to run air impacts along with airing up tires. The plastic line next to the copper melted. We ended up just running directly to the air gun without the tanks. That compressor stopped making air soon after.

Another compressor, solid copper from the compressor all the way to the tanks in the back and all is well. Until I have 6 flats going to and during the 2008 Fe in Colorado. My clutch coil shorted out. I pulled it apart at the FE, taped it up and it worked for a few tires and then shorted again. I just kept putting in new fuses to get through the FE. Back home, I replaced the coil and all is well again.

1 new compressor, coil and all copper lines to the tanks from the start would have made things better all around. Do what you wish, that is just my results.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I just got out of 3 hours of really boring training. I was thinking about this topic to stay away.

For your needs Ron, a tank like Lee had in 2004 at LBL might be a better idea. He aired up a lot of tires, used the impact on your repair and set beads on the trail all without even using up half his charge.

Get a single tank and a few mounting brackets will cover your M715, Suzuki and your next Blazer all in one spending spree.

Something to think about.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Here is a plan that I figure I'll have done in a couple more years:

I have an old Emglo contractor compressor with double saddle tanks sort of in the same configuration as the deuce (side by side) and a small cast iron dual stage compressor with its own sump and pulley. It originally had a Honda gas engine on it and it blew up, so I kept the compressor and tanks.

The idea is to mount the tanks under the bed, then using the compressor on the engine, use a deuce air governor to regulate the air pressure. This way, the compressor will run all the time, but build to 120 PSI and bleed off any excess. I figure it will then be a purpose built compressor capable of enough output to do anything I ask of it and be a heck of a lot cheaper than some of the OBA setups I've looked at, who's quality didn't impress me.

I know a lot of folks have done it, but I never really liked the idea of using an A/C compressor for making air, as oil supply and other factors really render them a bit frail. They also tend to need an oil seperator on the outlet, lest you fill your rubber tires with a mist of oil each time you air up.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Good point Randy. I didn't want to bring that up to Ronner since he is running a Ford engine. Those of us with Chevy engines have an easy pressurized oil source for the purpose built M35 or basically any semi truck compressor. I will for sure make a Duece compressor fit when the next York goes out. Running the regulator and few extra feet of tubing is really no big deal. Because the York really isn't made for this job as pointed out and should not be used continuously or for long stretches at a time. Call it a 50%-60% duty cycle rating. That is the way I would rate it at least.