Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter switch hook-up

Default Starter switch hook-up

My 715 will start but will die as soon as I take my foot off the foot starter button. I am trying to figure out the problem (& I am not the best mechanic) but the dash starter switch cable runs to the floor starter. The wire to the actual starter on the motor actually is attached to the same "lead" . Is this the right configuration or should they be attached to separate "leads".

I have searched through the manuals and I cannot find any pics showing how this should be wired.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Just a guess here, since you didn't mention if the truck is still 24V and original, but I suspect there is an external ballast resistor to the ignition coil and that its failed, The voltage is still supplying the ignition coil when cranking from the resistor bypass, then drops off when you release the starter switch.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

It is the original 24V system. Where is the ballast located & how do you replace it? Your help is greatly appreciated.

The ballast resistor on a stock truck is in the ignitor housing with the coil and distributor. it is usually under the coil...follow the ires on the coil and you will find it.

The starter switch on the floor should not have any wires from the dash area. If there are, then its been modified.

The starter floor switch is wired like this:

Positive from the battery AND the charging wire, the big one, from the alternator to one side of the floor switch...starter hooks to the other side of the floor switch.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The starter floor switch is wired like this:

Positive from the battery AND the charging wire, the big one, from the alternator to one side of the floor switch...starter hooks to the other side of the floor switch.
    If the charging wire #5 is on the wrong side of the switch it will act just as you describe.

Make sure it is wired just as brute4c has described above.

Great point Amphi.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

There are two wires coming into the floor starter & both are attached to the same post. The other post has nothing attached. There is a red wire coming from the battery box that was not connected to anything and I think that may be the problem. I will rewire according to Brute4c. If the rewire doesn't fix the problem, I will then replace the ballast. I will do the rewire this weekend and I will post my results.

Once again, thanks to all.

Default We have drawings

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbike71 View Post
    I have searched through the manuals and I cannot find any pics showing how this should be wired.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    There are wiring diagrams posted here;

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...ring_stock.pdf

Others are there also.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

UPdate. Wires appear to have been wired to foot starter switch correctly. The post that I thought was untapped actually did have a wire coming straight from the battery box. Because this wire was separate from the standard +/- cables I had not hooked it up to the battery. So I hooked it up, and no changes. So should I just leave the battery wire disconnected? That may be a stupid question, feel free to LOL, I just appreciate the help.

My plan is to tackle the ballast next. The wire coming off the bottom of the distributor (running back into the firewall) is in pretty poor condition (taped & retaped) & I was going to replace it as well. What company do you recommend going through for wiring for these 24V systems?

One thing I did accomplish is sanded down & painting about 1/3 of the inside of the bed. Very rusty before. I used 3M bedliner, I'm not sure how it will last, but right now looks very good. Also picked up some O.D. paint and touched up some areas. I have never enjoyed anything as much as piddling with this truck (& I haven't even got to the fun part of driving it, yet.) Will post pictures when the bed is done.

You have a wire, hopefully large gauge, running from the battery box to the starter switch AND another wire from the positive of the 2nd battery to the starter switch?

Is the one from the battey box coming from a power cut off switch of some kind? People and fire departments have been known to put in a battery cut off switch that is mounted in or on or near the battery box.
    If not, when that wire gets to the battery box, if it isnt going to the positive terminal directly, where is it going?