Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Giving up on the tornado

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    End goal for me is to haul a loaded m101a2 trailer (combined 5000lbs) at 70mph while getting 15 mpg.
    I can't come close to that in my '08 PW.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    I can't come close to that in my '08 PW.
    Modern emissions suck.

2008-2011 Ram 2500 CrewCabs 4x4 deleted are averaging 19.1 mpg unloaded.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Modern emissions suck.

2008-2011 Ram 2500 CrewCabs 4x4 deleted are averaging 19.1 mpg unloaded.
    Maybe, but I think 4.56 gearing has more to do with my crappy mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    Maybe, but I think 4.56 gearing has more to do with my crappy mileage.

Also due to my axle swap I enjoy 4.10 gear ratio... along with a 5 speed manual overdrive transmission (.76 or .72... dont remember).... @ 65 MPH... in OD (5th) gear... with my tire size and axle ratio... my diesel will be churning at 1800 RPM... "The mpg sweet spot" for a VE pumped 5.9L Cummins.

Also due to my axle swap I enjoy 4.10 gear ratio... along with a 5 speed manual overdrive transmission (.76 or .72... dont remember).... @ 65 MPH... in OD (5th) gear... with my tire size and axle ratio... my diesel will be churning at 1800 RPM... "The mpg sweet spot" for a VE pumped 5.9L Cummins.
    There's the crux of the biscuit right there: apple (5.7 hemi) & orange (Cummins). Add to the mix (or, more sensibly, subtract) this HATEFUL juicebox I put up with, and the comparison falls farther apart.

Happy heel-&-toeing!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    60 MPH is pushing the envelope. If the carburetor is now up to snuff, how about the timing? I have my timing set too far advanced. It pings a fair amount and I am not saying that you should go there. But advanced timing has given my truck som zip!
    I checked the timing and according to the timing light it was 24 degrees advanced. Turned the distributor as much as I could to get it to 12 advanced and it ran really crappy so something is up with the damper maybe. Making the timing marks not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by teberhard View Post
    ...Making the timing marks not accurate.
    Since the damper is rubber mounted, it is quite possible that the timing marks have moved.

Thanks for all the input so far.

I came across a good running m1008. Cab is rusty but thinking this might be a good donor truck to take the whole drive line, axles, power steering, power brakes. Pretty much everything I can use. I think I can pick it up for 1800. thinking thats a decent deal??

I have seen several 6.2 swaps but haven't come across any threads where some used a whole cucv truck. I figured this would be the easiest way to do it having an entire truck instead of grabbing a piece here or there. What do you guys think. Might message Barrman. He seems to have good experience with the 6.2 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by teberhard View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far.

I came across a good running m1008.

I have seen several 6.2 swaps but haven't come across any threads where some used a whole cucv truck.
    Long as your honest with yourself. Rusty truck is a rusty brakes, bad seals, and its a 6.2 diesel so tone your expectations accordingly.

The 6.2 diesel I believe doesn't get credit where credit is due. Its a great motor when its used/judged correctly. Its pretty much an MPG getter... with great low end torque but starts to fall flat on its face on the high end RPM.

It's not a towing motor by any means. While tuning will help liven it up... it will also accelerate its demise (see cracked blocks/crank bearing failure)

In will move a 715 nicely and the motor is simple stupid to work on and if used correctly (As an MPG cruiser and very light tow duty) will service its purpose reliably.

The Turbo 400 behind the 6.2L and the NP208 are both reliable and plentiful to replace if need be.

Top speed will still be limited to 45-55 mph pending tire selection. Anything faster than 2800 RPM the 6.2L diesel starts to go into no-mans land.

Axles are very nice to work with but the 4.56 gears is the speed limiter.

EDIT: I have every intention of owning a M1008/M1009.... great vehicles/powertrains.

Well here we go... I passed on the m1008. it was just more then I wanted to spend on a 6.2 swap especially when a mechanic I know came across a good running 85 chevy van with a 6.2/700r4 combo. He said if you can pull it you can have it. He told me they are a pain to pull from those vans and he was right. Luckily it didn't have to go back in so out came the torches and sawzall and pulled it this weekend. Ordered novak engine mounts(more as a time saver then anything else).

Going to pull the tornado/t98 this weekend and begin the prep work.

Biggest questions now are the wiring for the 6.2 and the glow pug system. Also, the driveshaft from 700r4 to np200.