Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disk Brake Hub Question

Default Disk Brake Hub Question

I have a question for those people running the Uglytruckling disk brake conversion. Can anyone answer this question or get me a picture of their hub? I am wondering what part of the stock hub they modify and how they attach the plate that the rotor attaches to. It appears that there is machined area, but also what looks like a ring welded to the hub? Anyways, here is a picture off their site with arrows pointing to the area I'd like a better detail of. Thanks.

68 M-715
    67 M-725

This is my theory:

That area is tapered, so they chucked the hub from the back in a lathe and machined a step for the flange to sit on. Then they welded the flange to the hub. If you look at the cylindrical area just over the weld, that's the machined surface.

The metalurgist at work cringed when I suggested doing something like that. He said it would distort the bearing surfaces in the hub and that the areas surrounding the weld (cast iron hub) would end up being very brittle and full of all kinds of residual stresses. I don't know how accurate he was, but I've never heard of one of these failing.

Yeah, that was my first thought too: welding on cast! I know that it can be done properly, but very few people know how to do it. That makes sense though, machining a flat cylindrical surface out of the taper.

Hopefully someone who has the kit might be able to verify this.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

That is what i figured they did, machined a flat spot on the hub and welded both sides.
    I was'nt very impressed with the welds, It was squirted on quickly with out much pennitration, proably to keep the heat down to eliminate warpage. But with continuous welds it should be plenty. I wonder if it was a shrink fit.

They might have left the flange face proud and finish machined after welding it on because of possible warpage??

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    They might have left the flange face proud and finish machined after welding it on because of possible warpage??

That's what I would have done - Leaving the flange oversized and cleaning it up after welding.

Calling Fisherman (I wish I could have made the FE to see your disk brake install in person) and anyone else with disk brake conversion kits. Could I please get a clear picture of your hubs? I would sure appreciate it. I think I have a totally different idea on how to add disk brakes without having to do anything to the existing hub...but untill I get that figured out I am curious to see how they are done right now. Thank you.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Not sure when I will have time right now. From what angle do you want the picture? Maybe Saturday, but my work schedule is 7 days a week for awhile. Would I need to remove the tire and wheel? Let me know.

Yeah, I really feel bad for asking, maybe if you could just look and tell me for sure if the plate they added to the hub is really welded to the hub, and if it looks like they machined the hub. That is the information I'm really looking for verification on, since the picture I posted doesn't quite tell for sure. No hurry, when you get a chance I surely would appreciate it.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

The last time I talked with Ray, and this was a little while back mind you. Was that it was machined with a press fit tolerance, pressed on, and the welds were more of an 'insurance' thing then anything else.
    Seeing how he did a lot of stuff, he really liked to make things overkill. So I wouldn't second guess his reasoning too much on this part.

He might have changed things since I talked to him last though.