Thread: ford 300 help

Default ford 300 help

Hey guys im a lil new here and i have a m715. I want to put a ford 300 in my truck. I am still trying to get the seized cam timed and running in the original 230. I was wanting to know if anyone can help me with the adapter and modification and i want to keep the 24 volt system also if possable. i just spent alot of time reworking the electrical and rebuilding my 24volt generator and 110 inverter. the 300 is from a 1989 ford f150 it has efi. i will probly have to run a dc to dc converter which i can make. i just would like help to learn more about the motor and the swap.

PS i will post Pics of my rig as soon as i fix my digital camera it got droped in the lake.

Thx Dan

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

As far as I know, there isn't an adapter to bolt the Ford to the stock transmission, so you'll probably be looking at using the Ford transmission as well.

A converter is the only way to use the 12V EFI components with the 24V truck. The only issue I'd have with that though, is what are you really accomplishing? After swapping out everything else, the only thing left that would be 24V at that point would be the lights. The stock temp and oil pressure gauges may not work with the Ford engine either. Adapting the 24V alternator to the bracketry on the serpentine system might be a bit of a challenge too. Then there is the issue of the starter. You'd most likely need to have one rewound, as I don't recall any off the shelf 24V Ford starters for the 300.

Were it me, I'd swap in the whole of the Ford setup, and convert to 12V.

Oh, and welcome!!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

i have no problem rewinding the starter i can do that. I am a electronic tech by profession to most of that stuff i can do but im not the best at it The only thing i was thinking about is the 12v computer and the gauges for the 12v system. Is there a adapter that I can buy for between the bellhousing and transfercase i do not have a welder or access to one.

Novak and Advance Adapters were the only ones making anything to bolt to the stock transmission, but I think they were all Chevy. Check them out and see.

The M715 has a divorce transfer case, so pretty much any 2WD transmission can be made to fit. Just requires the stub shaft to be shortened or lengthened. The other route is to use a married trans/transfer combo and have new driveshafts made.

Ive looked and called advanced and novak adapters they said they dont make ford 300 adapters. I also, would like not to swith the transfer case it would probly be easier, but i would like to keep as much stock as possable. Is ther anyone that can help me with making a adapter i would be willing to pay or if they are with in a state away i would go to them and help make it i would love to learn. I would like to widen my knowledge.

Get a 2wd transmission for the 300. That is the easiest, cheapest and fastest way to get it done.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Don't forget that if you make an adapter for the Ford to Jeep bellhousing, then you'll need to find a clutch and make your stock linkage work with it too.

I was planning on doing the same swap years ago. I was looking at the Ford 300 efi with a T19 2 wheel drive transmission to go to a divorced chevy/dodge 205 t case and 60/14 bolt axles. I wanted the T19 so I would have a sync'd first gear since I do a lot of engine breaking. It appeared everything would fit. Anyway, that was my plan and I didn't stick to it, lol.- gonz

Didn't Lucky do a 300 EFI swap?
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Yes he did.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

If you are keeping the stock axles & t-case go with a 5spd OD Ford trans - easy fab on the mounts, have the stub shaft re-sized if necessary and you are good to go!