Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: raven : 8 lug conversion

Default raven : 8 lug conversion

8 lug conversion
    Post by raven on Aug 5, 2006, 4:22pm

Hey guys! I'm new to this board, and just picked up an M715 last saturday. I've owned one other, and have kicked myself in the arse for selling it ever since.

I've looked through the other threads and didn't see what I'm looking for. I've got a Chevy D60 for the front, and would like to swap the 5:87 gears over, and keep the rear D70. I have a 14 bolt, but 5:87 gears are not available for it. Problem is the wheel stud pattern on the rear. I know about the inner differences particular to the M715 D70, but was wondering what I can do to swap it over to 8 lug, if possible? If it's not something that can de done fairly inexpensively, I'll use the 14 bolt, and keep the 4:56's.

I will be doing a SOA/shackle flip, and have two sets of tires. 40" Boggers, and 45" tractor tires. One for wheeling, and one for moose hunting (I live in Alaska). It will also get a 350/TH350 & a NP203/D300 doubler.

Thanks for any help/advice!

Eric

Default kaizenator :

Re: 8 lug conversion
    Post by kaizenator on Aug 5, 2006, 4:39pm

May I come up to ALaska and visit? I've always wanted go up there.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Aug 5, 2006, 5:01pm

I would use the 14bolt and keep the 4.56's. You will be $$ ahead at the end of the day.
    With 350/auto/doubler you should be good with 4.56's.

Default kaizenator :

Post by kaizenator on Aug 5, 2006, 7:27pm

Yes about the 14 bolt, keep in mind the D70's low spline count (I've never broken one though, but i have the 230 in mine and no 46" tractor tires...wish I did though). If you already have matching R&P in the ChevyD60 and the 14Blt, you just need lockers for them. How close to 5:87 can you get a R&P set for the 14blt? (might be close enough). You can, however, bore the spindles from an eight lug D60 if you had the means.
    Check this out:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/D70/D70.htm

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 5, 2006, 7:38pm

THERE ISNT ENOUGH MEAT IN THE HUBS TO REDRILL THE BOLT PATTERN.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 5, 2006, 7:39pm

USE EARLY DODGE DUALLY HUBS TO GET 8 LUG PATTERN

Default mikel :

Post by mikel on Aug 5, 2006, 8:51pm

Will the M715 axleshaft flange fit the dodge hub?

Quote:

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 5, 2006, 10:17pm

Seriously

just use the GM stuff. It's a lot easier.

Default raven :

Post by raven on Aug 6, 2006, 12:36am

Quote:
    Seriously

just use the GM stuff. It's a lot easier.

I'm not concerned with "easy". However, since I live on an island in Alaska, good used parts can be hard to come by and shipping is a killer. My main concern is cost if I can't find the right stuff to work.

Quote:
    I would use the 14bolt and keep the 4.56's. You will be $$ ahead at the end of the day.
    With 350/auto/doubler you should be good with 4.56's.

This is my thought as well. Would allow me to run her down the highway without pegging the redline too. BUT, the allure of 5:87's is too much to resist if I can make it happen without breaking the bank.

Quote:

Just the hubs? They will work with the stock spindles, bearing, races and shafts? Or will I need to use the spindles, bearings and races from the donor axle as well?

This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I may be able to find an old Dodge dually D70 laying around here. If this will work, and I can find one, I'll go that route. If not, I'll stick with the other plan.

Thanks,
    Eric

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Aug 6, 2006, 2:31am

Quote:
    I will be doing a SOA/shackle flip, and have two sets of tires. 40" Boggers, and 45" tractor tires. One for wheeling, and one for moose hunting (I live in Alaska). It will also get a 350/TH350 & a NP203/D300 doubler.

I'm on the tail-end of doing all this work on mine. I did a lot of research before I started. Some things I found:

1) Use the CUCV (60/14 bolt) GM axles. What you spend on the axles you will get back in savings on brakes, cheaper wheels, and better gearing.

2) If you DO go with a doubler, a 300 won't cut it. These trucks are too heavy and at that gearing the 300 becomes marginal. I went with a 203/205 doubler, super beefy. If I were spending the money TODAY, I would call the guys at Stak 4X4 and get one of their three speed monster boxes with an OD on it (I drive my junk everywhere). If you do go with the 203/205, call the guys ar NorthWest Fab, they are relatively close to you (BC) and are great to work with (although can be a little slow).

3) Th350's can be built, but again for these big trucks, the TH400 can be made much more bullet-proof. I know-not how, I'm not a slush-box guy, this is my 1st in a trail-rig, but that is what every technician told me when I demanded "bullet-proof".

Enjoy, and hope some of that helps!