Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use for pintle hitch

Default Use for pintle hitch

I know this may be a noob question. What is the difference between a pintle hitch and a ball hitch (besides the shape)? What are the advantage/disadvantages of them?

Uhmmmmm well, besides the shape, which is an ENORMOUS DIFFERENCE

Pintle hitches can take more weight. You can get pintle hitches, in fact, that can take far more weight than your truck can handle.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Personnaly I think a pintle hitch is a better hitch. Once the pintle is closed around the lunet ring of the trailer and a safety pin (hitch pin) is put through the opening your trailer is locked into place as apose to a ball hitch that can fake you into thinking it's secure and then one good bump and your dragging the tongue of the trailer. This is only my opinion based on observation and experiance.
    Zone holster maker

Besides the above mentioned weight, strength and secure trailer advantages which are very signifigant. A pintle that rotates like ours do will allow tremendously more torsional flex between the truck and trailer. A ball hitch will only allow about 60-70 degrees max while a pintle will safely go further than you can drive it.

It might not be much, but imagine backing a trailer full of gravel or dirt up. You already have a dirt pile you have to go next to. One wheel of the trailer starts to climb the previous dirt pile. Pretty soon you have the trailer at 45+ degrees to the truck. What kind of hitch would you like to have holding it to your truck?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Why is the civilian hitch of choice the ball hitch? Cheaper to manufacture therefore cheaper final price at consumer or more maneuverability? Or is this just a case of beta vs. VHS and one style had better marketing and became the norm.

Cost is a big factor. So is usability. Go to a boat or RV store and look at all the accessories you can buy to help you connect your truck to your trailer. Seems to me that most people can't figure out how to get the ball under the trailer tongue. Imagine if they had to make the trailer tongue fit between two things on the truck?

Besides the military, the next time you see anything pulling a trailer that is rated over 1 ton, look at the hitch. It will probably be a pintle. Construction, UPS and most commercial trucking below the semi level use the pintle for a reason. It works, it is safe and they last.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Another advantage that I like is most people can't borrow my trailers. All of our trailers on the farm except 1 tiny little motorcycle trailer are pintle (they make small pintles, don't they?). I've pulled some pretty heavy loads with them and never had a problem. I prefer them over a ball. The car trailer that I am building will be pintle. I don't know if this is something standard on pintle trailers, but all of our trailers have an adjustable plate that offers the option of moving the ring part of the pintle higher or lower. Kinda nice if you have rigs or tractors with large height differences between them.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Quote Originally Posted by rpgdeity View Post
    Another advantage that I like is most people can't borrow my trailers. All of our trailers on the farm except 1 tiny little motorcycle trailer are pintle (they make small pintles, don't they?). I've pulled some pretty heavy loads with them and never had a problem. I prefer them over a ball. The car trailer that I am building will be pintle. I don't know if this is something standard on pintle trailers, but all of our trailers have an adjustable plate that offers the option of moving the ring part of the pintle higher or lower. Kinda nice if you have rigs or tractors with large height differences between them.
    At some point I want to get a car trailer to pull my other toy. Will I have to get a custom job or they ever an option? Can you post a picture of the adjustable plate?

Quote Originally Posted by webstercj8 View Post
    At some point I want to get a car trailer to pull my other toy. Will I have to get a custom job or they ever an option? Can you post a picture of the adjustable plate?
    Any farm store in IA should have that hitch. I'ts just a hitch with a plate full of bolt holes to move the pintle up and down.

and here's an adjustable lunette:

**I heart Bump_r **

Thanks for the pics tacoma. As you can tell I may be from Iowa but I'm not a farm boy.