Thread: Ideal Engine Theory

Default Ideal Engine Theory

Well okay, hold onto your hats...here's a big one!
    I've read a ba-zillion posts here on what the most powerful engine is, what is the biggest engine you can shoehorn into the frontend, so on and so on. But this question is a little more thought provoking (I think).
    Of all the engine/transmission combination choices available, what in your opinion would be THE ULTIMATE/BE ALL-END ALL for: Compactness, weight, power/torque and fuel mileage? Think about all these parameters and some of you great thinkers share your logic and reasoning.
    I'm actually thinking of...drumroll please....creating Frankenstein II! But this time I want to think outside the box just a little. Maybe fuel injection, maybe turbo diesel, definitely something getting better gas milage than 8.8mpg! Right now I'm running a SBC, 4bbl Holley 650,SM465,Np205 and stock axles.
    Maybe a BIG 6 W/fuel injection...whatever....

As always i am partial on cummins. I think a 4bt turned up a bit would make around 250hp 500tq and would still get maybe around 25 mpg. Or you could just leave it stock, run biodiesel and get around 30mpg. I know a few guys that are using the small 3.3l cummins as well. Tranny, gears, tire size as always will play a big part on your gas mileage. As well as how hard you step on the skinny pedal. The list is endless with drivetrain options. I will be running a 6bt/nv4500/1 tons with either 4.10's or 4.56's. I would be happy with 20mpg. Have no ideal if i will or not but that would be a good target to shoot for. The only down size to cummins are price and weight. They are dependable as all get out and the GenI and GenII motors are very easy to tune and work on. It just comes down to what you like and what you are planning to do with it. I would hope to be able to tow occasionally and be somewhat of a Hot Rod 715, so that is why i choose a 6BT. Best of luck in your choice..

Back in the 70's, A magazine called Mother Earth News, built a steam powered 50's era Chevy pickup. I'm thinking that would truly be a Franfenstein. Just A little fuel,for your imagination.
    Last edited by Binford; November 24th, 2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Fixed italics

Of course I can't compare my engine tranny combo yet because it is not running yet. And the only trucks I've driven have been stock powered trucks. I'll bet I'd be really happy with a slightly tuned up 4bt turbo, with a manual overdrive transmission. 40 inch tires or smaller and around 4.10 or 4.56 gearing in one ton axles. Of course a 205 or 202 transfer case. Stock height, not lifted. I could run bio diesel, as I do now sometimes in my 03 dodge. That would probably be my choice in a drivetrain for our trucks.

chevy genIII small block. the new ones get good MPG, come in trucks that weigh more than a stock 715 and do great for moderate towing/hauling. i have a tuned 6.0 in my 04 that weights over 6000lbs it has done great towing a hauling anything i can throw at it, and unloaded i have seen 17 mpg. they are compact, simple in design(cam in block pushrod V-8), easy to get ahold of, cheap compared to anything else that is of the same vintage, and easily modified. they love and make power at higher rpms, great for stock gearing. they are tough and reliable. all of them had an OD tranny hooked to them and the whole package can also be converted to carb fairly easily. they will not have the towing capabilty of a 6bt but they are significantly cheaper and will fit in the engine bay with no hassles. they would be really good for the weekend warrior/occasional towing hauling truck. i am definately goin BBC when i get a 715 though
    Ryan

Well, that got me back to thinking about the two drive trains I have sitting in my shop. First is a 7.3 turbo diesel, ZF 5speed, BW t-case, I also have been collecting all the parts for a conversion, as in new radiator, cooler, charge pipes, stand alone wiring harness, electronic go pedal.
    Second is a Gen III V-8, with the matching 4L60-E and t-case, I have sourced the wiring harness for this one also but now I need to find the "2001" eng/trans computer.
    While I would love to run the diesel for many reasons,what sticks in my mind is driving enjoyment. I have owned a 7.3 F-250, and now know that if I had a convertible truck, (enter the M-715) I know it would drive me crazy to hear the diesel rattling with the top on or off. I don't think I could put enough Dyno-mat or Fat mat on the cab or front end to make it enjoyable to ride in. While the Gen-III, could be quiet and one could actually hold a conversation.
    Don't get me wrong, I will most likely have another diesel, it will just be an enclosed cab. I was actually thinking about putting a J-20 cab I have access too on the chassis just to run the diesel. The flat front windshield and canvas top won out over the diesel.
    I have thought about this question many times before. I wouldn't mind a BIG 6 as you say, then I would feel better about actually running the fording kit.
    There are so many possibilities. I think, no doubt, one would have to really make a decision on what the truck was used for most of the time, then decide the best combo to run.
    Which brings us to the green disease, lol. you got to have more than one truck.

I'll wait for Crower to start mass producing some larger form of his 6 stroke engine.

The holley is most likely a big source of your problem. It looked like your truck was running a little rich last week when I was following you based on a little black smoke. It also died at idle when I was turning around at the airport. Maybe the idle is a tad low? Or maybe I need to learn to drive. LOL