Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaf spring rebuild

Default Leaf spring rebuild

I decided to rebuild my extra set of leaf springs that I had laying around. I'm planning on rebuilding my spare axles and bolting them up, so the old springs need to go. I unbolted the leaf pack and removed all of the rust. Then I primed and painted the leaf pack with rust preventive paint. I finished one of the front leaf springs today using all grade 8 bolts with a dry graphite spray in between each leaf. I still need to replace the bushings (which I have). Has anyone else ever done this? I was planning on buying new springs, but all of the usual sources were out of them.

I did it, when my Fire Dept built my truck, they received 2 m715s from DRMO, they decided more was better, so they took all the springs apart and doubled all the leaves, (there are pics of the spring in my photos in my profile) I disassembled them, put them back to stock, new center pins, new bolts on the clamps, and it worked out great, I didn't put any slip coat on them, because the spring place we use from work told me they are made to have friction between the leaves, but I really don't think it would have hurt.

Duane

I used the spray to help with the creaking

Wow, it's a shame that the stock of NOS springs are drying up.
    ABlinn had them so cheap ($100.00 a pair), it wasn't worth overhauling your old springs.
    Did you try VPW?

I replaced the bushings in my front springs with new bushings from NAPA.

The easiest way to remove them, is to burn out the rubber with a propane torch,
    then use a new sharp hacksaw blade and slit through the steel outer sleeve.
    To avoid nicking the spring eye steel, make your cut at the space where the end of the eye wrap meets the spring.
    Then take a chisel to curl the sleeve up and drive it out.

Polish up the inner surface of the eye, and press the new bushing in with a large C clamp after lubricating the eye with Never Seeze.

I think I spent about $40-$50 to rebuild each spring. It would've been nice to have NOS springs, but the only place I found wanted $75 a spring plus freight. Right now I have a little more time than I do money, so it wasn't too much trouble.

didn't someone that had a bunch of the NOS springs scrap them?

Quote Originally Posted by Duane View Post
    didn't someone that had a bunch of the NOS springs scrap them?
    AB Linn. The last source I know is VPW.

What are the part numbers for the bushings? Front ant rear? I'm planning to do the same.

The Bushings are: front eye-napa p/n 274-6523 & rear eye-napa p/n 274-1185. I haven't had the chance to order new shackle bushings yet. I will post the part number when I get them! I don't know if you are planning on doing a full rebuild on your springs, but just in case....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200827166914...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ( Grade 8 center bolt for leaf packs)

I went to several hardware and was unable to find the four spacers that cover the hold down bolts (I used grade 8 replacement bolts since mine were rusted away) at the top of the leaf pack. I ended up buying 1/2" pipe from home depot and cutting it to length.

I would also suggest spraying this on each side of the leafs as you bolt them back together (reduces squeaking) http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLIP-PLATE-3...item4ad0b410c7

If you need other info just let me know

Thanks for posting the part numbers...thats a good one to keep handy!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!