ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old June 2nd, 2020, 10:40 PM
Basic Trainee

66stepside is a Soldier
Default 1968 m715

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
Looking good. I'm hoping this next weekend to spend some quality time with one of mine.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit:

The radiator is in and plumbed, I had to rework the steering column as the key wouldnít turn due to clearance issues with the M series mounting. What a er to mod! But Iíve got the firewall collar ready to weld up, key turns just fine; so close to firing her up.

Edit:

She might end up satin black:

Last edited by 66stepside; June 13th, 2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old June 27th, 2020, 05:14 PM
Basic Trainee

66stepside is a Soldier

Iím working outside, wrapping up the brake booster to pedal linkage and the steering column, and the pines are shedding their usual crap and so I popped on an LJ Wrangler Bimini/Bikini top just to catch a break from the misc pine debris.

I figure with the right amount of welding to the existing top cross braces, it might work out. Itís obviously too long, but Iím thinking of giving it a shot when I get to that point.

Old June 28th, 2020, 06:29 PM
Sergeant

glenn is a Soldier

Looking good.
Old July 7th, 2020, 07:03 PM
Basic Trainee

66stepside is a Soldier
Default 1968 m715

Iím ready to mount the M715 cab, front clip and bed to the K30 frame- the wiring harness is done, and plumbed to run; she started up! Haha, the turn signals work, too.

I took a video of the fire up, but canít post it here- itís a big relief to have it running. Once the body/bed are securely mounted, Iíll get the gas filler lines plumbed, and see what I can do to get the clutch linkage operational

Edit:

The cab is bolted down, so naturally I driver her out of the garage! Whew.

Last edited by 66stepside; July 9th, 2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old July 11th, 2020, 06:34 PM
Basic Trainee

66stepside is a Soldier

Iím wiring up the front end for turn signals, parking, and headlights. For part of the turn signal/parking light set up, I fabbíd two brackets for the hood. I know it came with one on the droverís side, but I thought Iíd put another one on the passengerís side to make it usable:

Itís slow going, but the rear lights are done (yesterday was a marathon of wiring, rewiring and cleaning up wiring harnesses).

Old July 12th, 2020, 03:51 AM
Staff Sergeant

Don Cavey is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66stepside View Post

Itís slow going, but the rear lights are done (yesterday was a marathon of wiring, rewiring and cleaning up wiring harnesses)...
I was able to use a lot of my wiring by spitting back the non-adhesive black tape wrapping and getting to the softer insulation. I didn't have to do it everywhere but where I did, I spiced in a new wire end. I have both NOS Packard wire ends but also some wire harnesses that I bought cheap on eBay just for the wire and ends. You can always change the aluminum ID tag. Wires were soldered and black heat shrink and their location was staggered so as to not have a huge bulge in one place. I have some of that non-adhesive tape that Dad brought home back in the 70s.

Just what I did to retain/reuse the original wiring. A lot easier when it matches the TMs.

Please, keep us posted with progress!
Old July 12th, 2020, 11:57 PM
Basic Trainee

66stepside is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
I was able to use a lot of my wiring by spitting back the non-adhesive black tape wrapping and getting to the softer insulation. I didn't have to do it everywhere but where I did, I spiced in a new wire end. I have both NOS Packard wire ends but also some wire harnesses that I bought cheap on eBay just for the wire and ends. You can always change the aluminum ID tag. Wires were soldered and black heat shrink and their location was staggered so as to not have a huge bulge in one place. I have some of that non-adhesive tape that Dad brought home back in the 70s.

Just what I did to retain/reuse the original wiring. A lot easier when it matches the TMs.

Please, keep us posted with progress!

Thank you for the tips! I appreciate good suggestions.

I mounted the bed today and the front lights are in. I fabbíd up two brackets for the hood lights (Iím relocating the turn/ parking lights from the grill support to the hood). I also filled the tanks with 24 gallons of gas- it should last me until I can get new lines plumbed. Oh yeah, the license plate is on, and backlit, too.

Not the most photogenic angle.

So now sheís street legal. Iím looking for different rims and tires.

Old July 16th, 2020, 02:18 PM
Basic Trainee

66stepside is a Soldier
Default 1968 m715

I dug out an unused heater that came with a Commando basket case I purchased (the Commando is long gone). Itís a HeaterCraft 340 series- meant for boats. I figured Iíd use it because A) itís free (if itís free, itís for me!), B) boat stuff is waterproof and a convertible truck needs that?, and C) it throws ALOT of air (needed in an old military convertible). Aside from custom brackets I had to bend up, Iím only into it 6 hours now!

Next up, route the wiring, and figure out how to get the air where I need it to go. Although, plumbing the air to the vents can certainly wait awhile.

Old July 24th, 2020, 07:30 PM
Basic Trainee

66stepside is a Soldier

I thought I was ok to work on my FC170 this week, but the M715 had other plans:

Luckily I have a few spare parts in my stash:

Old July 24th, 2020, 08:04 PM
Basic Trainee

66stepside is a Soldier

One of the spare hinges was bad- too much play, so a third hinge was sourced from a Super Wagoneer spare door.

Da bad spare:

Final second adjustment:

Whew.