Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming engine swap

Default Upcoming engine swap

Hey Jeepers,

I own a '68 M725 all stock. Runs well most of the time but I'm swapping the engine for more power. I'm getting an '87 Wagoneer with the AMC 360. Is that a bolt-in to the T98? Is there anything I need to know about this swap? Anybody have a website documenting this swap?

Also: I'd like to keep everything 24volt and run a voltage reducer to power the starter, radio, and engine. what sort of current do I need for that?

This swap will be taking place in either NH or MA this weekend and next weekend. As soon as I finalize the location, I'll post it so anybody who wants to stop by, have a beer, listen to some Merle Haggard, and talk about jeeps is welcome to do so. Anybody who stops by can rip out wag parts I don't need.

Mike

Michael, I looked at this swap using a '79 J-10 donor motor. The input shaft on the T-98 is too long by about an inch. According to Advance Adapters, you (we) would have to change the input shaft in the tranny. Advance sells that shaft for about $245. (talk about a shaft!) Anyway, you would also need a bellhousing and flywheel to change to the manual tranny, plus clutch, etc.

I am seriously debating going to a sbc with an adapter, if I can find a motor cheap enough. I would like to stay all Jeep, but it would probably cost me close to 700-1000 to do it that way.

Rich
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

The 360 will NOT bolt to the T-98.

Also the voltage reducer is going to be one expensive son of a gun if you plan on running the starter with it, IF you can even find one that can handle the job.

Best bet would be to find a tranny that will bolt to your 360 and use it instead. If you really want to keep 24v, add a second bat and alt to provide 12 power.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Doug, I was told by Advance that the 360 would with the right bellhousing. Have you tried this one before? Share with us the wisdom of your experience.

Rich
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

..............correction, it can be done, but those bells are getting scarce, the local guy here wanted $600 for the trans, and would not seperate. You could possibly find a deal on one IF you know what your looking for. My original post saying NO, was more because the bell on the 360 is different from the 230. Should have clarified. Sorry.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

The Wag engine is mated to a TF727. Would that tranny bolt into the M725 T-case? Would I event want that on my rig? Please excuse my newbie-ness. What's the best way to do this swap?

Your best bet is finding an engine AND 2wd transmission to drop in. Even if you find the correct bellhousing, the 360 will be VERY close to the firewall and might have some interference problems.

Nothing bolts to our tcases but a driveshaft...they are a divorced unit....a good driveshaft shop could make whatever shaft and ends you need to mate them though....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Hey Michael, I live in Maine but I might be in Mass this weekend and maybe another time over the next 2 weeks. If you are near where I will be I'd be interested in stopping by to see your rig. Or if you will be in NH and you are not too far off of 95 I might be able to stop by. I might be interested in some of your wag parts too. The other day my hood blew open going 50, so I might be needing some hood hinges if they can be straightened out. Good luck on your swap.

Default www.bigscaryjeep.com

Okay, so what V8 engine (and from what vehicle) is the easiest direct bolt-in to the T98? any?