Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock Valance/Brush Guard?

After seeing these (above), I will never complain about how much money I am spending on my truck again. Whoa nelly.

I decided to go with this...

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; July 7th, 2019 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
    After seeing these (above), I will never complain about how much money I am spending on my truck again. Whoa nelly.

I decided to go with this...

Alot of overtime/weekends goes into it... you got that right.

67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Amazing....

I showed these photos of your trucks to my wife. She now understands I am not the only guy with "olive drab madness".

She began to think I was crazy when I started placer mining in the Sierras...now the M715 project has confirmed it for her.

Bless her heart. haha. I am lucky to have her.

Didn't know what placer mining was. So I looked it up.

Placer mining is relatively simple as long as you don't expect to make a profit; but it becomes much more difficult if your intention is to make some money.

Default Placer Mining

Haha...that's about right. I have spent a lot of money on mining equipment, and I pay taxes on 4 California claims, totaling almost 100 acres. Heck, I don't even own the land...just the mineral rights to the land.

And CA has made placer mining more difficult by outlawing small-scale suction dredging. {{boo hiss}}

But, people get lucky sometimes. Take, for instance, this guy in Butte (pronounced "byoot") County CA. in 2014:

https://www.goldrushnuggets.com/buttenugget.html

And you sure won't find any gold if'n you don't go lookin' for it! Those old times scoured the Sierras, but they didn't have machines that could look 18" underground!

In life, I have found, that LUCK plays a role...

... and gold is where you find it!

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; July 8th, 2019 at 11:39 AM.

I found it here. Probably cheaper (but not as much fun).

Yeah Thailand...I remember that place! haha

Some things that make mining appealing to me are:

1. I am a teacher, so I have Summers off. I have time to go to the mountains for extended camping trips.

2. Teaching is sort of a desk job, and after dealing with those cheese-puff-eating 20-something kids all year, AND state government bureaucratic processes, I like going to the mountains and building roads and stacking rocks. haha. It's cathartic for me. I need the discharge of pent-up emotions and I crave physical labor. What can I say...I am a working dog.

3. Everyone needs a hobby.

4. Mining is a western heritage activity. Someday, small-scale mining might be completely outlawed for the common man. I want to do it while it's still possible.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; July 8th, 2019 at 12:47 PM.

ok. what's the steel barrel for?

Default Mining Equipment from Days Past...

It's an old water storage tank. Maybe a boiler for an old steam engine puller or something. There's tons of old mining equipment still up in the High Sierras. There are old gears and wheels sticking up out of the ground in places. They just left the equipment there. This is very high in the Sierras.

They had to move those huge trees and move those humongous boulders, so steam engines were used in the later years (1870s and afterward I think). Before that, they used mules...and strong men. Those old timers were tougher than rubber.

This is an old shaker sluice I found on one of my claims. They washed a lot of gravel and mined a lot of gold up there.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; July 8th, 2019 at 06:36 PM.