Thread: engine swap

Default engine swap

due to the failure of my m715 engine i am planning to install chevy v8 350 engine complete with sm465 the question is which is better to connect with the existing transfer case np200 :

1-by driving shaft same as before (divorced)
    2- or connect the sm465 and transfer case (to be married) by any adopter if it possible is the ir any adopter kit available and how to get

i really need help

thanks

Do yourself a favor and dump the NP200 while you are at it. Mated transfer would make a simpler install, but nothing is wrong with the divorced set up other than the fact that divorced NP205s are getting harder to find.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

If you are going to be doing much road driving. Replace the 200 with a 205.
    If you have to pick this stuff. The married setup seems to be more available.

It sounds like you have the motor and trans already, but if not see if you can get the whole chibang at once. Motor, trans and married transfer case say out of a blazer or cheby pick up truck that way you just pull out and put in (more or less).
    Zone holster maker

Do they have many Chevy parts trucks in Riyadh? Or is that where you really are....

Another option is keeping the T98 transmission and getting an adapter for the SBC. Then later you can swap out the 200 for a divorced 205. Nothing really wrong with the stock transmissions though, eh?

Now, I know I'll get a lashing for saying that (bring it on, Tacoma!), but the more I think about the future SBC swap for me, the more I'm liking the adapter idea. Swapping in a 465 (with married 205 in my case) will require fabbing new transmission and t'case mounts as well as rigging the e-brake and 4WD levers' pivot points, not to mention figuring out how to set up a new e-brake. Then there's the thing of the new, non-stock-looking transmission shift lever position, not to mention working up new drive shafts.

Small things for guys who have a bunch of experience fabbing stuff, sure, and with the facilities (shop and equipment) to do the fabbing. But for a guy like me, I think the cost of the adapter would be worth it. And I'm sure Bob Cowan would help me get all I'd need with his kit, if he still sells it. Even with a complete kit, swapping in a new engine will be challenge enough for this guy, thanks!
    -- Tim Taylor

I decided to keep my T-98. Putting in a Ford 300 6 Cyl. Parts Mike had an adapter to change the stickout on the t-98 to something that would work for a Ford (ford bellhousing and t-98 bolt pattern are almost a perfect match). They were pretty cheap at $199 and about $240 less than advance adapters. Might be worth asking them what they could get a SM465 to SBC if your dead set on that.

The T-98 is the same thing as a Ford T-18 and 1301 which I personally know of a 74 t-18 with over 500,000 miles on it. Just keep em oiled.